Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tools for header install

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tools for header install

i recently got pacesetter lt and a tsp catted y. what tools do i need to do the install. and are there any good write ups on how to do this job? im plannin on doing it next week.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.ls1howto.com is a good one
Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

A 10 mm ratcheting wrench will help a lot. Also some kind of grinding wheel in case you have to notch the K-Member or that little piece that sticks off the block.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by R1ch
A 10 mm ratcheting wrench will help a lot. Also some kind of grinding wheel in case you have to notch the K-Member or that little piece that sticks off the block.
x2 for the ratcheting wrench!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

swivel sockets & extensions...and a sawzall(you always need the sawzall)
Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, scrath the ls1howto thing. There's not a write up for a header install on an F-body lol.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

I got the tsp catted y and coated pacesetter headers and put them in last month, They fit perfect and nothing was notched or cut, but one brace was taken off the bottom.... O ya and i have no rasp with there setup and my custom cat back...... (3" piping 3" cut out right after the Y, and 3 in/out Bullet then 3" out the back on both sides) It is incredibly DEEP tone and do i mean DEEP and no rasp at any rpm... It was loud enough that i kept the high flow cats that they came with in when i was going to take them out...

O ya have a rubber mallet ready the y pipe fits incredibly tight on the collectors and i had one bad leak after the driver side cat into the y pipe that i had to band clamp that one, the rest were fine but if you have the extra money i would do Poly mounts and get band clamps for all of the connectors on the Y.....
Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

10mm Sockcet ratchet, Flathead(for unpluging o2 sensors), 22mm wrench for removing o2 sensor, and air impact gun with a 15mm socket for removing cats(easy way), ratchet with 15 socket, extensions and breaker bar(hard way). and a jack for the car. unbolt stock manifolds and remove from the top. replace stock manifolds with LT's installing them from the bottom. all in all it should take ATLEAST 2 hours maybe less is everything goes good
Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely ratchet wrenches, and extensions/sockets of varying lengths. Get some poly mounts while you're at it or you're going to hate life afterwards. Installing them after headers is worse than a clutch change, cam change, and rear end gears... all at once. Sawzall makes removing the casting tab on the drivers side easy, and you get a cool potential keychain part afterward. What ever you do, DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED EXHAUST CLAMPS that come with the Y pipe. You will never be able to take it apart again, unless you've got a torch. Use a magic marker and draw a line across the joints on the Y pipe as you install them. When you go to adjust it, it makes seeing how much you've turned the pipes more clear, and helps you see what you've just done. Have fun.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y'all forgot to mention band-aids. You'll need them. And you might want to have a translator on hand if you are working with buddies - I remember random gibberish coming out of my mouth in the form of cussing like you wouldn't believe, and no one could understand what I wanted.