Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still having startup issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default still having startup issues...

It's been about a 3 to 4 weeks, since i installed the longtubes & ory and im still having these startup issues. After driving the car around, and turning off then trying to start it up a few minutes later, it struggles to fire up. I took the car to advanced auto parts and had them check the battery & alternator. Which both turned out to be fine...

I also took it to Autozone and had them check to see what codes were being thrown. The guy told me he couldnt tell me what the code meant at the time, so i went to another Autozone and got it checked. This time, the guy had me turn on the car while the programmer type thing was connected and it said something about "engine temp high" or something like that. I had flushed the radiator that weekend, but coolant level is fine. Now i forget the code that was thrown but it had to do with the O2 sensor's. So i got new o2's and installed them today, along with a new fuel filter and the car is still doing the same. Should i disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, then connect and try it again?? You know, just give the computer time to reset itself since i changed the o2's...this would atleast maybe clear that code right?

Now ive got a question right here, i did remove the AIR pipes. Would this be causing a problem?? Should i have just left them on and blocked them off?? I had a guy put some threads in and went and got bolts to block it off.

What about Spark plugs?? Would these be causing my problem? I need to get them changed out, just bought some NGk plugs from Advanced Auto this passed week.

All i can think of that's left would be the Fuel Pump and Starter. Would there be anything else to check out?? Ill try and get a video of the car up tomorrow with the start up problem. I may just end up taking the car to the dealership and having them check it out.

Last edited by Badguy7; 02-14-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

So i think i may have solved my problem this morning. I went ahead and pulled off all the plug wires just to make sure none were loose or anything and that's when i noticed this....

Idk what this connection is but it wasnt connected. The car now seems to start up pretty good after ive drove it around. Ill do it a couple of times just to make sure.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

thats your ECT sensor. The computer needs to see this, if not then you will experience the problem you had. Good job by the way
Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got ninja'd. I was gonna ask you if you checked your ECT but you found it. Now you know what to look for when a buddies car does the same thing! Lol
Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Yeaa, we we've been making fun of that lately. Since it was such a small little problem to solve. 1 of my friends was telling me my other friend didnt plug it because he's jealous his car's not fast lol My other friend with a Z28 was like, man yall better connect everything when we do mine lol