Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Dissaembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh...sorry, I confused your problem with the original posters. I would remove the metal clamp that's holding it on, twist it, bend it, squeeze it, whatever it takes. And then carefully take a razor knife and slit the hose at the port to remove the hose. You don't want to put a lot of pressure on that brittle POS and end up breaking it. Taking off the windshield wipers and the plastic cowl piece will give you a few more inches to see and work with and won't feel like a cheese grater to your arms. You have a plug to cover the port once you remove the hose?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I figured out the best way to remove it from the LS6 manifold by finding out the hard way with the LS1 manifold.

I almost feel bad, there is nothing wrong with this manifold.

I assure you that there was sufficient caution used during disassembly.

Aftermath...

End result...
I didn't break it.

The three tabs around the side are what holds it in.

So my plan for the LS6 manifold to get it out is to simply use a long *** screw driver, go in through the tb inlet and press the tabs to release it. They are at roughly the 9:30, 2:30 and 6 o'clock positions. It didn't take much pressure to push them in, so push them in, pull that side out a bit, wash rinse repeat. I will be attempting this tomorrow and I'll post results for anyone else that needs to attempt the same thing.

Last edited by 67GoatPimp; 02-17-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh...screw that LS1 intake. I'll send you mine if it makes you feel any better. I'm wondering how hard is it going to be to get the other one out with a long screwdriver. It almost looks as though you may need to depress at least 2 of the tabs at the same time to start working it out before you get to the third one. You may need a 3rd hand. Good luck and let us know how it goes. BTW, the inside of that intake is just nasty. Looks as though it could have a used a catch can or 2.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
heh...sorry, I confused your problem with the original posters. I would remove the metal clamp that's holding it on, twist it, bend it, squeeze it, whatever it takes. And then carefully take a razor knife and slit the hose at the port to remove the hose. You don't want to put a lot of pressure on that brittle POS and end up breaking it. Taking off the windshield wipers and the plastic cowl piece will give you a few more inches to see and work with and won't feel like a cheese grater to your arms. You have a plug to cover the port once you remove the hose?
thanx for the suggestions man. ill get it off eventually if i stick to it. ya i have a plug to plug up the hole
Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the pics...

Do you also have one of the "hole" without the tree in it...?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Curveball TECH

Originally Posted by HavATampa
heh...screw that LS1 intake. I'll send you mine if it makes you feel any better. I'm wondering how hard is it going to be to get the other one out with a long screwdriver. It almost looks as though you may need to depress at least 2 of the tabs at the same time to start working it out before you get to the third one. You may need a 3rd hand. Good luck and let us know how it goes. BTW, the inside of that intake is just nasty. [B]Looks as though it could have a used a catch can or 2.[B]
lol you should see mine!

I just recently put an ls6 on the t/a, luckily it was in really good condition. GL w/ the install.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

You can do one tab at once, I did taking the other one out, you just push, pull that side past, then do it on the others, I doubt it will work on the first try on all 3, but I am confident it will come out. I'll post pics.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joecar
Thanks for the pics...

Do you also have one of the "hole" without the tree in it...?

Thanks.
There's nothing notable about it. It's just big enough to fit the piece in, then stops where the tabs are. If it's still in the trash tonight, I'll snap a pic.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Forgot my camera tonight, but I got the piece in. I still have the old piece so I can show you what's left of it tomorrow or something. Basically though, I cut off what I could with a hack saw, took a port and polish bit to open up the hole, then popped the tabs in with a screwdriver. It was actually really easy to get the broken one out. I have no clue how to get them out without destroying the intake or the vacuum port, but if you have a broken port on an LS6 and can get your hands on a relatively cheap LS1 mani, you're good to hook.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Dissaembly