Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much will I gain from mac midtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gectek
Is it just me or does this not make sense. Dont you want the bracket cars to stay the same et? ON bracket, its not heads up so you arent racing for a top et/mph you are racing against yourself/consistency.

The Macs will give you a gain, what that will be and if you will be happy with it is another story. I really like the mids. Not alot of hassle. Its not like the gain from the LTs to the mids will be astronomical, and if you already thought this you would not have started the post in the first place.

IMHO for the price and gains i would go with mids, esp in your situation. There are just some people on here that wont trust anything but long tubes and you cannot get them to change their mind. Everything has its place and time.
I had L T headers on my 99 ss didn't like the fitting of them the loud noise either I perfer stealth and comfort over lt headers that's my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gectek
Is it just me or does this not make sense. Dont you want the bracket cars to stay the same et? ON bracket, its not heads up so you arent racing for a top et/mph you are racing against yourself/consistency.
I don't think you are getting what I'm saying. What I'm trying to say is our 3 bracket cars were raced nearly every weekend, one week we swapped 2 of them over to LT's and they did not pick up any et or mph the next weekend. We also log every run with weather conditions and other things so we know what the cars run in different weather.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I meant i dont think its pertinent to the matter at hand what a bracket car does because you are racing against an index. if it were heads up racing then it would make more sense. I know what you were saying, but i was merely stating that bracket racing is diff from heads up and you do not race all out in bracket like you do in heads up.

You didnt understand what I said.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not trying to be an *** but, ask any real bracket racer and they will tell you a good bracket racer goes all out every pass unless the guy in the other lane really screwed up bad. If you don't go all out every pass you would be considered a "Sandbagger". Every trip to the track is a different day, you run all out in you time trials and if you are consistent you never let off. So, I can tell you if any changes to my car picks up et or slows it down. You can also look at you split times (60ft-330-660-1000-1320).

I do see what you are saying though. The average person who goes bracket racing from time to time couldn't tell you weather or not a mod changes anything because they are general not consistent enough to run all out every pass. A good experenced bracket racer can and does run all out every time.

Now if you are bracket racing something like a SC dragster or a Comp elim car, you are would be right, they are running on an index and not all out.

Damn, we highjacked this guys thread!

Last edited by cainsw; 02-20-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

This thread is getting off track.

I ran them for years before my current setup. The MAC's are decent headers and used to be popular because of their price. However, the flood on LT's on the market at low prices made them somewhat obsolete.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

why dont you just go with LT you are already going to spend I would suggest the LT.It will put more hp and torque.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 PM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
This thread is getting off track.

I ran them for years before my current setup. The MAC's are decent headers and used to be popular because of their price. However, the flood on LT's on the market at low prices made them somewhat obsolete.
Exactly, when I got my macs there wasnt much available under 500bux. the pacesetters out at the time had poor fitment. Which they addressed on their second batch.

If I was buying headers today Id definitly get the pacesetters. Cant beat the performance and price. I just posted cuz I had dyno results with macs
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dug
Exactly, when I got my macs there wasnt much available under 500bux. the pacesetters out at the time had poor fitment. Which they addressed on their second batch.

If I was buying headers today Id definitly get the pacesetters. Cant beat the performance and price. I just posted cuz I had dyno results with macs
How much with Mac's did you gain?
And you also said pacesetters not fit with out rubbing?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

i think the bottom line is that on a bolt on car, you're giving up 5hp probably and some mid range torque. do a search in the dyno forum. there are LOTS of posts about this. seems like only makes a real big difference when guys who are HCI go from mac mid's to some QTP or expensive long tubes. looks like 20 hp gain at that point is not unusual.

only reason i would run the mac mids is that i live in a city with lots of bumps and F'd up roads, so my choice really is either nothing or mac mid's or raise my car up till it looks like a truck again.

i'm going to be patient and wait till i find a good deal on some used ones though. new pacesetters with Y pipe can be had for 500$ all day long. i wish i could use LT headers....
Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
that was pacesetters first design. Now they install and fit very well. The macs are a nightmare to install. I had to cut both casting tabs and unbolt the motor mounts to get them in and on the passenger side I had to bfh the fire wall a bit. I don't k ow if my car was horribly off center when it was made or what but those damn headers took me a solid 3 days to install.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
the macs were swapped the same time as the cam. Cant say how much theyre worth by themselves. I had no problems dropping them in from the top. I was in the middle of the cam swap, the valvecovers were off for more room.

The first batch of pacesetters collector hanged too high. But thats ancient history. The current pacesetter supposedly fit like a glove. I would buy them and make a custom ypipe with a flowmaster merge. I wouldnt be afraid to pound in the floor boards for a lil more room.

Macs are the most controversial headers for the ls1. Theyre worth about 20rwhp over the stock exhaust manifolds and ypipe. A good set of longtubes with a ypipe with a flowmaster merge can be worth up to 30rwhp.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
You will gain very little of stock manifolds. Why go thru the same hassel doing mid lentgths when you're already there... Do the LTs and call it a day
lol......

Quick Reply: How much will I gain from mac midtubes?