Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powersteering fluid leak/ possible leak into cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default powersteering fluid leak/ possible leak into cooling system

hey guys, my cars been making this supercharging type whine from the pullies, and then when i take sharp turns it makes a rubbing noise. Well i brought it to my mechanic and said my power steering fluid was low so he added some in and i noticed the turning noise didnt do it anymore but it still had a slight supercharging whine to the belts, then i went to take it out this morning and loud supercharigne whine was back and when i took sharp turns it did that other noise again. So i brought my car back and he put it on lift and seen some leak from a line. He said it wouldnt all drain that much in one day from there so he thought it was something else too. He also thinks that the power steering fluid may be leaking into my cooling system which can cause a big problem. So He said I should replace the power steering cooler? does any one else think i should replace this and the line or is it the power steering pump n such? Im a little confused
Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, do you even have a power steering cooler? As far as I know, its an option that only the SS/WS6 came with stock (someone correct me here, I'm assuming because my T/A didn't have one, but the WS6 did). If it does you can just take it out of the upper radiator hose and see if its leaking in there. Is there any sign of external leakage down by the rack?
Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P/S cooler leaking is fairly common. Replace it, flush the cooling system and should be good to go.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

My 02 Z28 came with one. Showed as an option on the window sticker.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aerotest
My 02 Z28 came with one. Showed as an option on the window sticker.
My z28 had one, and it it is a common problem for it to leak causing ps fluid to go into the cooling system.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

just go get a non-powersteering radiator hose and make the power steering hoses one delete it if you dont have the $$$$ for a new ps cooler