Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible O2/wiring problems, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Possible O2/wiring problems, need help!

Ive had my FLPs for quite some time now and I was browsing through this section and noticed something that could possibly be causing me problems. Here's the thing...when I installed my headers some time ago I noticed that my O2 sensors didnt reach. I didnt have time to wait to order a pair of extensions, so I wound up splicing and extending them myself. Now I dont know if that is the problem or not, but lately Ive been getting an SES light that comes up as heater performance. Ive gotten it cleared about 3 times now and after the 2nd time, I reinstalled my cats thinking it would solve it and still no luck. Do you think its a possibility that its the wires that I extended? I dont remember exactly what guage wire I used, but Im pretty sure it was about the same as the wires that were already there. I did not sauder <-- not sure of the spelling, I simply twisted the 2 and put electrical tape on them. If it is the problem, should I go ahead and get the extensions that are offered? Which size would I need for my FLPs? I saw that they offered them in 3 lengths, but wasnt sure which one is for FLPs. Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 06:31 AM
9 Second Club NA

Default Re: Possible O2/wiring problems, need help!

TTT :p
Old 10-14-2003, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat with the same headers and I continue to get the "Check engine light". When I get the Code check with a tech2 its a heating code in "Bank two sensor". I have be told that it is the O2's that are needing to be replaced so I have another set of 02's just needing to extend them. keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:37 AM
9 Second Club NA

Thats the same one thats being pulled from my car. I was told to put the cats back on and did so, but no luck. Im tired of driving 45 mins. to get it cleared. I know that I can get the code deleted for good, but then when would I ever know if my O2s are bad. Do longtubes ruin O2 sensors or make them go bad quickly because I was told the same thing. If Im going to have to keep replacing the sensors, I might as well just get the code from never coming up again. By the way, whats the purpose of the sensors anyway? Back to the subject...I was wondering if by any chance that the wires that I extended caused the light to keep coming on? Obviously theres a right and wrong way to extend them. So do you think that I should (a)spend the money and get extensions and possibly having to replace the O2s or (b) just delete the code and dont worry about the extensions or the O2s? If O2s play a big role or affect performance, then I guess (b) is out of the question. Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

From what I understand longtubes do make you 02's go-wacko. but I've only heard of race gas(104oct-higher) damaging them. I will get the newer O2's I have extended and try these set's of 02' sensors. and if that doesn't work then I wil have the O2 code deleted.

<font color="orange"> CHECK ENGINE LIGHT <!--color--></font>
Old 10-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Yeah I did the same thing with my Jet Hot Headers...But my friend spliced them for me...We used 24" wires, butt connectors, because taping them up is really bad and it usually looses grip after a while and bam...you're f$#$ed! so I would at least buy the O2 Extensions, but if you spliced them than you have to buy brand new O2 Sensors...
Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can fix them without buying new ones by silver soldering the wires. You will need some special silver solder, a small butane torch, and the right kind of liquid flux. Try the type of hobby shop that sells radio controlled airplanes for these items. There might even be someone there that will solder them for you if you don't want to try it.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about just doing the job right and buy a couple of 12" O2 extensions and be done with it. Thunder would be happy to sell you a couple ...

BTW, the front O2 sensors send very little line voltage to the PCM (milivolts). You Jerry Rig some homemade extensions using Autozone wire and electrical tape, and I can assure you that you will have nothing but recurring problems.

Do yourself a favor ... Get properly made extensions
Old 10-14-2003, 06:04 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...Ive decided that Im going to buy the extensions which I knew I would anyway, but what length do I need for my headers? (12", 24", 36"? I have FLPs) How do I know or test to see if my O2s are bad/good? Im hoping that installing the extensions is the only thing that I will have to install. Lastly, I believe that Speed Inc. has the cheapest prices on the extensions, are they any different from any other sponsor that carries them? I didnt notice in the description that it uses OEM connectors and whatnot like others mention. Just want to make sure that I get the good ones instead of saving a few bucks and getting the bad ones. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like I said in the last post ... Get a couple of 12" extensions.

However, you have already cut up the wires on your old O2 sensors when you tried to do the do the home-brew extensions. That presents a big problem. You might as well just throw those away. They are ruined.

Use your old rear O2 sesors that have not been molested and get some extensions.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:24 PM
wrencher

O2 sensor harness are not meant to be spliced.
The stainless wiring keeps from corrosion &amp; interference.They are not meant to be repaired/spliced.
As everone is saying get the extensions &amp; new O2's.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where can you get the extensions?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:25 PM
wrencher

Most all the sponsers sell them>>>>>>>>