Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad qtec experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad qtec experience

Well I had my mccord for quite a while until it finally crapped out on me. I decided to try the qtec because I heard so many good things about them from a bunch of you guys.

When the unit arrived I noticed two problems. One, there was no way in hell it would fit without having severe clearance issues due to the angle of my cutout. I tried turning it every possible way, but it would either hang low or bang the undercarriage and not seal properly. Second, when I tested the unit, the motor was faulty.

I mailed qtp about this and received a simple response informing me that they do not take back used products.

I replied telling them that there was no possible way for me to use this product as it was defective on arrival. Also, I asked several times if there have been any fitment issues and each time the reply was 'no we've used these with many f-bodies.'

Qtp completely ignored my second mail and has yet to send me any form of response whatsoever regarding the backing of their product.

Time to get another mccord...
Old 10-16-2003, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Bad qtec experience

where did you try to install it? i have mine between the passenger and rear seats and it fits fine. maybe you should try putting it there.
is sad to hear of poor customer service but hopefully qtp will chime in and make everything right.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Launching!

I have only good things to say about them.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure why a 3" wouldn't fit if a McCord did, but you need to call them. If the product was never installed because of fitment, then it is not used and I'm sure they will work with you.

If you installed it and drove the car and it banged while you drove it around, then it is not a big surprised the motor went out. That's just like taking a hammer to the end of the motor shaft.

I've owned 2 (3" and 3.5") and had a good service from them (first one broke and was fixed promptly). the 3.5" was a little more sensitive to location because of its size.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The flowtech is mounted in the i-pipe behind the rear passenger seat which is by no means unusual. The fitment issue is caused by the arm that extends outword with the wiring. The mccord is much shorter and does not extend enough to bump, where the qtec was hitting underneath the seat floor.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have you called them?

Old 10-17-2003, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

give them a call..they are great people.. i know them... i am sure they'll work something out..
Old 10-17-2003, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The flowtech is mounted in the i-pipe behind the rear passenger seat which is by no means unusual. The fitment issue is caused by the arm that extends outword with the wiring. The mccord is much shorter and does not extend enough to bump, where the qtec was hitting underneath the seat floor.
I had this exact same problem. I've had mine for about three or four months now and still haven't tried my only remedy I can think of for installing it (read: I've been trying to sell it locally, but it won't fit my friends cutouts either).

The only remedy they offered was rotating my cutout (which isn't an option), but I may try cutting off the lip and welding it back on in a position that will work.

I would've returned it as soon as I realized it didn't fit, if they didn't have a 20% restocking fee.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, the cutout that I have came in a package of two from Summit I believe. A buddy bought the set, and I bought the second one off him. I'm guessing this is a brand specific problem.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've been told the Summit brand cut out is made by Flowtech

3 bolt flange on every cutout I've seen is standard size. Beside the QTEC plate has alot of room for error.

Did someone weld the bolts in crooked?
Old 10-17-2003, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I had mine in the same place as well. Maybe your cutout is welded in at a funny angle for the qtec?
Old 10-17-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, here's a picture of my cutout:

The problem lies in the location of the bolts on the cutout as opposed to the location of the bolt holes on the QTEC.

Compare my cutout to the picture of the QTEC on their site:
Old 10-17-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine came with bolts which were too short to fit the electric valve but i just cut them off and welded longer ones on. they did line up though
Old 10-19-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

SMOKINV8

Most people put the cutout in the depression forward of where your's is. Looking at it.. I'm surprised your cutout doesn't hit the floor board.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Smokin...you need the move the cutout forward more and angle the outlet downward not upward. I have a Flowtech 3 inch cutout on my WS6 and I have no problems. I don't have a QTEC yet but I will be getting one soon. I shouldn't have any clearance issues at all.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

WILWAXU- No problems with it hitting the floor board at all.

14u2nv- Why should I move the cutout forward? And it points straight to the side, not upward at all. That may just be the angle of the picture that makes it look like it angles up. With the pattern that the bolts are in on my cutout, I would have to angle my cutout down 1 3/4" from where it's at now to safely fit the QTEC, and that's NOT going to happen. I would rather occassionally crawl under my car and uncap it than lose almost 2" of ground clearance.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Teching In

try flipping it..... the actuater works both ways

give them a call, they are really nice people!