Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Maxflow Install Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Hooker Maxflow Install Write-up

I've been running a GMMG for about four years on my Formula. It sounded great, but was fairly loud, and I was ready for a change. I wanted to find a system that would be quieter and lighter.

I was intrigued by this thread by 7 Plagues: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ack-style.html So I followed his approach exactly, except for running a 3" tailpipe out to the bumper with a 45* turndown.

Impressions: idle & light throttle - very quiet with some deep resonance; cruise - almost silent; medium throttle - moderately quiet with a hollow, "airy" sound, similar to an aerochamber; full throttle - almost as loud as a GMMG but not as deep. Best quality: NO RASP at any throttle position. What's amazing is how a system can be so quiet in normal driving, and so loud at WOT.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. The car feels just as responsive; I don't expect to see much of a difference at the track, but we'll see. I could post pics and a sound clip but 7 Plagues has them in his thread.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The setup in the link you posted sounds good. You should post a sound clip of your setup. Also, are you looking to sell your GMMG?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, glad to see others using this muffler. So far I am super happy with it and I will be posting clips later this week hopefully with my LPP Longtubes installed. Should sound pretty wild.

Also, once the muffler breaks in it becomes a little more toney which i loved. Congrats
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 7plagues
I will be posting clips later this week hopefully with my LPP Longtubes installed. Also, once the muffler breaks in it becomes a little more toney which i loved.
Yes, I noticed the sound started getting fuller after a few days of driving. I look forward to hearing how yours sounds with LT's.
Originally Posted by Mumbles
Also, are you looking to sell your GMMG?
I'm considering selling it. It would be the rear section only as I hacked the I-pipe. It's bulky and heavy to ship, though. I might consider bringing it to KC or something ... PM me if interested.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tooooooo quiet
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, it offers the best of both worlds. Not only is it one of the best flowing mufflers on the market even compared to bullet types, but its also one of the quietest at cruise. Had the obnoxious loud exhaust, been there done that. I wanted something that sounded good when I decided to lay into it.

Quick Reply: Hooker Maxflow Install Write-up