Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idler pulley question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question idler pulley question..

I've got a 2000 formula firehawk and tried changing out my idler pulley, tensioner pulley and belt the other day to get rid of that annoying chirping under the hood, and while the tensioner pulley went on just fine, the idler pulley, every time I started to even hand tighten the bolt, the pulley locked up.. pulled the idler pulley back out and compared it to the one that was in there originally and noticed that the bearing is farther in on the new pulley than on the old one, so when the new one gets tightened against the bracket, the back lip of the pulley rubs against the bracket.. took it back to autozone thinking they gave me the wrong pulley, they gladly took it back and looked up the part number again and grabbed a new one from in back.. compared it to the one I just brought back and it was the same.. this was the only part number they had for both the LS1 and the LT1.. tried the GM dealership down the street and had the same problem, the new pulley has too much lip sticking out the back side so it rubs..

did they use a different setup for the 2000 LS1's or something? any suggestions or am I stuck buying a new bracket so the new pulley will fit?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats weird I can't see why there would have been any changes made and I can't see there being a difference between Corvette or Fbody or anything... I'm out of ideas...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you sure that you bolted the pulley on properly? I replaced mine about a year ago, and you need to be sure its installed on the mount properly. I did have a hard time finding the correct pulleys for the AC circuit, as they're smaller and thinner, and autozone had the incorrect numbers for them.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
EW1
Launching!

I am going to replace the idler and tensioner pulley since I have a chirping/squeaking noise too. I wanted to know how much to torque them down too. I cant seem to find the info in my haynes manual.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have replaced mine with some from advance. Dayco
no problems
Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sreve
i have replaced mine with some from advance. Dayco
no problems
me too. now i have one of these, and have an extra one for sale.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Teching In

did LOTS of running around today after pulling my alternator and bracket out so I would have something to test fit at the store.. advanced had an alternate part number from dayco that they didn't have in stock here, but had at another location, so it should be in in the morning.. we'll see if that works.. if not, I'll post pics of the bracket and pulley and where the problem occurs..

01ssreda4: that looks like the tensioner pulley, the idler pulley is smooth