Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake swap issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake swap issue

So since I had off from work last night and today, I decided to install an LS6 intake. Of course... the OPSU snapped clean in half before I could even get the manifold out far enough to even be careful around it. After calling around to see if anyone had em in stock... turns out it is a 2 day wait. In addition, this car is my DD, so I absolutely had to have it back together. So after reading a bit about people saying the sensor is JUST for the gauge, I decided to just re-assemble and fix it later. No big deal right?

So I put it all back together (which... is more of a pain in the *** than anyone mentioned... HINT HINT fuel rail bolts WITHOUT having a deep well socket), and then go for a 2 mile drive to make sure everything is working. So i start it up, see the oil gauge is 0... expected that one, and see the CHECK GAUGES light is on... obviously cause oil pressure is 0, didn't expect that, but it made sense. And also notice the check engine light is on for the EGR which i also removed during the install. Ran the codes through my scanner just to be sure... sure enough, EGR... no biggy.

Anyway, went on my little drive, car drove great, no vacuum leaks, no coolant leaks, no oil leaks, nothing. Parked it over night, and layed down to relax my sore back (another part conveniently not mentioned in the install guide), and figured I would go to bed... and order the OPSU tomorrow.

So today, I wake up, drive to the local GM dealership to talk to them about the sensor, and a price on how much to install it (just out of curiosity... cause I REALLY didn't wanna tear apart the manifold AGAIN if I didn't need to). Turns out they wanted 40 for the sensor, and 75 in labor to install... not bad right? 3 hours of my time is WELL worth 75 bucks. So i tell em to order the part, and I will think about if i want them to install it. I drive off, call my buddy and am about to drive over there (60 miles away). And I stop at a gas station, and a guy taps on my window saying "uh... you are leaking oil... BAD". I get out and look... and the 20 seconds I was there.. there is probably a puddle the size of my tire. I check the dip stick, half empty.

So basically, what I THOUGHT was just an electrical sensor that snapped off (the metal threaded part was STILL in there), seems to SPEW oil after the engine gets hot. So now the car was towed back to the dealership, and they are gonna fix it on tuesday. GRRR... way too frustrated to deal with this crap right now. Anyone else have fun stuff like this?

Last edited by xephona; 03-13-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a bummer! i broke mine off as well and just fixed it then, but 15 min after driving it after the install i parked it and now it wont start, everything has power but no dice when i turn the key, i have checked all the fuses, plugs, wires, etc (only thing i havent done is looked underneath..so now im stuck with a car i cant move and its pushing back my install date on the cam/spray...its killing me!