Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all aftermarket alternators crap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all aftermarket alternators crap?

Hey everyone,
After doing a bunch of research on this forum and some others, it seems like most aftermarket/rebuilt alternators for the LS1 are pretty crappy. Mine pooped out about a week or two ago, which as far as I know has about 80,000 miles on it. I was looking at the Powermaster units which, while expensive, seem to be a safe bet. My question is, do I have any options beyond the trial & error auto parts store units (advance, autozone, etc.)? Is it worth it to get my current one rebuilt locally? Is the Powermaster unit a direct bolt-in (no mods needed)? Thanks for your help.

Matt
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgkbull
Hey everyone,
After doing a bunch of research on this forum and some others, it seems like most aftermarket/rebuilt alternators for the LS1 are pretty crappy. Mine pooped out about a week or two ago, which as far as I know has about 80,000 miles on it. I was looking at the Powermaster units which, while expensive, seem to be a safe bet. My question is, do I have any options beyond the trial & error auto parts store units (advance, autozone, etc.)? Is it worth it to get my current one rebuilt locally? Is the Powermaster unit a direct bolt-in (no mods needed)? Thanks for your help.

Matt
buy a new one with the lifetime warranty from the parts store, you may get a bad one but you will most likely get a good one. then if it goes out you can run down the street to get one. rebuilt = crap when it comes to alternators and ac compressors.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had two aftermarket high(er) output alternators - one crapped out on me with no warning after about a year of use, the other is still going strong. The one that crapped out came from Afterthoughts Auto (they subcontract it out to someone else), and the one that is still going strong was from Alterstart.

Hit and miss with this one...especially if you are going for more output than stock.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mgkbull
Hey everyone,

Matt
I know people that have been using the Pro Start brand from Advance Auto or PepBoys, for more than 5 years. No problems at all. MY original factory alternator just too ka **** after 11 years and I put one of them in 2 months ago. Its still fine. 1,000 watt stereo amp too, no issues at all at idle either with an under drive pulley on my 427ci.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Teching In

All stock electronics in the car except for the Raptor shift light, so I'm not concerned about get a super high-output unit. Getting one with a lifetime warranty would be good, but if it craps out every 6 months or so, that's a lot walking home I'll be doing. When my last one went, man, it WENT. Gave me about 10 minutes to get my *** home and the thing died as I rolled into the driveway. I'll take a look into the Pro Starts. Anyone have the Powermasters?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

search Domininck Iraggi his alts are nice but only come with a one year warranty

Quick Reply: Are all aftermarket alternators crap?