Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed plugs and wires...found this

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed plugs and wires...found this

Last night me and 2 buddies of mine changed plugs and wires in my car. My plugs on had less the 20k miles on them and wires were factory. Of 8 plugs 2 on the passenger side looked weird. They were the 2nd and 3rd plugs from the front. I also noticed that the same plug wires were arking pretty bad to my headers. I think that the 2 plugs had a lean symptom to them. They were not bad but had a more whitish gray tint to them than the 6 others that were more blackish gray here are the pics of the plugs. Also the plugs are AC Delco 12571164 and yeah I did spray a 75 shot on them some over a 1 1/2 years it amounts to a 10lb bottle. I have put TR6 in it and MSD wires so I hope that fixed it do you guys think I should worry. Here are the pics.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No ideas anyone I am wondering if I should worry about it or not.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like old plugs to me. Throw the new ones in there & pull one after 100 miles, to get a better reading.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
Last night me and 2 buddies of mine changed plugs and wires in my car. My plugs on had less the 20k miles on them and wires were factory. Of 8 plugs 2 on the passenger side looked weird. They were the 2nd and 3rd plugs from the front. I also noticed that the same plug wires were arking pretty bad to my headers. I think that the 2 plugs had a lean symptom to them. They were not bad but had a more whitish gray tint to them than the 6 others that were more blackish gray here are the pics of the plugs. Also the plugs are AC Delco 12571164 and yeah I did spray a 75 shot on them some over a 1 1/2 years it amounts to a 10lb bottle. I have put TR6 in it and MSD wires so I hope that fixed it do you guys think I should worry. Here are the pics.
How did you come to a lean condition conclusion? No spark = no burn = more fuel than air at the oxygen sensor. Lean conditin = more air than fuel. You see where this is going right? What you are seeing on the plugs is unburned fuel mixed with some oil.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

better pics might help too, camera should have a macro mode (button that looks like a flower) for close up shots like this
Old 04-10-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought those two were lean because of the whitish color on the plugs. The other 6 looked fine and I didn't see any oil on any of the plugs so I guess that is good. Also how could my plugs be old they have less than 20k on them but I did change them anyways. All that black stuff on the side of those 2 was where they were arching to my headers I know this because there is a burn spot on my headers from it. Thanks for the advise I feel better about it.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

catch can may help that...oil comes in from the pcv system and may not be enough to gunk up the plugs but can affect how cylinders fire... especialy with nitrous.