Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sludge in catch can....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sludge in catch can....

I went to empty my catch can yesterday, and a small bit of oil came out, then a tiny bit of sludge. Thinking there should be more oil, i took off the catch can, and started to take it apart, with plenty of rags to catch the oil once blockage removed.
The can was full of sludge and water. The oil was like brown cream.
I've been driving the car in wet water, so i guess water is in the air, therefore a bit in the intake, and I guess it makes its way to the catch can via being in the air. I should have got some photos.

Has anyone else experience this? Does this indicate a problem somewhere? I last emptied the catch can in October and it had sludge in it then.

I took off the drivers side rocker cover a week or so ago and oil looks clean in there, no sludge.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
I went to empty my catch can yesterday, and a small bit of oil came out, then a tiny bit of sludge. Thinking there should be more oil, i took off the catch can, and started to take it apart, with plenty of rags to catch the oil once blockage removed.
The can was full of sludge and water. The oil was like brown cream.
I've been driving the car in wet water, so i guess water is in the air, therefore a bit in the intake, and I guess it makes its way to the catch can via being in the air. I should have got some photos.

Has anyone else experience this? Does this indicate a problem somewhere? I last emptied the catch can in October and it had sludge in it then.

I took off the drivers side rocker cover a week or so ago and oil looks clean in there, no sludge.
Your fine, mine was the same way when I emptied it last. Condensation will build up and mix with the oil in the can making a nice oil/water sludge treat.The cold weather probably has a little bit to do with it as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 AM
TECH Resident

That's a relief, it looked the the car was being sick in the catch can, I thought something was wrong.
I'll keep an eye on that and regularly empty it.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me like your catch is working and doing what it's supposed to do. you should be fine. what catch can are you running btw?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverLSWON
what catch can are you running btw?
This one:- http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1787

Quick Reply: Sludge in catch can....