Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header collector leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Header collector leaking

Hey
I have QTP stainless LT's and the driver side collector is leaking in side between the pipes so no welding can be done, talked with QTP and they told me that they herd on some taking something like JB weld and squeezing it in to the middle of the pipes and said from what they herd that it seemed to work, for how long? and was not sure it was JB weld or some other sealer,....does anyone have some firsthand knowledge or know of something that could work?

Thanks for any help, as a set of stainless headers, and them being installed is a lot of $$$.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats just normal QTP quality, the one last pipe can't be welded and is supposed to be a slip fit, problem is they over-swedge the female to ensure no fitment problems during assembly, thus the leak.

Go to one of the chain auto parts places and look for 2500 degree manifold and muffler patch - clean the area with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and once it dries, stuff the patch material in there with a long small paint brush or long thin popsicle stick.

I spotted my leaks (yes -both headers had the large gap) prior to even putting it on the car - I had placed a drop cord/light near the collector end and could see light shining thru it like a beacon in the fog.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going thru the same thing with some slip fit dynatechs. i just took them off and am getting chopped up and welded all the way... does suck since youve already got yours in there, tryed any copper rtv?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, the 2400* patch is what I will try