Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is average HP gain with headers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is average HP gain with headers??

I am just curious about what the average horsepower gain is from adding a set of headers. Are edelbrock shorty headers a good buy?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shortys arn't worth it IMO. but i made 25/28 w/ my hooker LT's

JR
Old 10-29-2003, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocco1005
I am just curious about what the average horsepower gain is from adding a set of headers. Are edelbrock shorty headers a good buy?
Only good reason for shorties is that you live in smog **** state of CA. Gotta get some good mids (Mac) or better yet longtubes. Most will see around 20rwhp maybe more, it depends on what you have. Newer cars will see less b/c starting in either 00 or 01 they got better flowing manifolds. IMO the best buys for headers are either Mac mids or Jet-hot/Hooker long tubes.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

people have seen anywhere between 20 to 30rwhp from adding headers. as long as you also have a decent flowing exhaust to augment them, you'll be good to go. i personally am a fan of flp headers, but they're a package deal and you pay for what you get, they're the best out there. thunder racing makes some damn good headers as well. hookers/jet hots won't let ya down, i've heard lots of good stuff about them. this whole time i've been referring to long tube(LT) headers, shorty's or mids aren't worth the money IMHO. stay away from slp headers, they are well known for fitment and clearance issues, especially if you plan on doing aftermarket y-pipes or lowering your car. headers are a great mod and is a must for any car wishing to make some good rwhp numbers.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=cyphur_traq]people have seen anywhere between 20 to 30rwhp from adding headers. QUOTE]

who made 30rwhp? Im sure that was tuned or ran perfect (as in not rich or too lean) after the install. I dont think you could see more than 25rwhp increase right after the bolt on. Could you?

If so let me know as Im in a headers quest myself.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

LT's always get better hp #'s, (I'm hoping to get a set of Jet-hots soon), but as mentioned before, if you do happen to live in CA., and absolutely cant do LT's, BBK shorties may be a option due to their 1-3/4 primaries (same as LT's). All other shorties are 1-5/8. I've heard alot of good things about the BBK's, but haven't seen any dyno #'s.

Quick Reply: What is average HP gain with headers??