Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it SAFE to de-screen the MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I just descreened mine. It worked out quite well. Whoever said the screen is there to catch stuff that gets through the air filter is very misinformed

Here is a video of a few different mods we did racing against one another in between the different mods. Descreening the maf gave me 3/4 of a car by the end of the quarter mile which is almost a tenth of a second.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ing_643805.htm
Awesome vid man, thanks!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you believe any of the "don't de-screen the maf" hype, you might as well believe that the tornado helps hp and fuel mileage.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crainholio
The OP should be required to kick you in the ***** for posting that nonsense.
For some reason that was a lot funnier than it probably should have been.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Launching!

I dont want to mess up the maf nor hurt the screen just in case it doesnt work on my car. can someone tell me how I can do it with out hurting my maf? I read I can take it apart. Is this true?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The screen is there to straighten the airflow.The 98-02 computers have a MAF curve that goes with it.When you pull the screen it leans out the midrange throttle area due to the lack of air across the sensor.

A tuned stockish car will gain 0 HP taking the screen out and the throttle response will be affected. If you have an A4 car a drop of tranny line pressure will accur from pulling the screen without tuning.

From what I've seen there is no reason to pull the screen in a F-body making less than 390rwhp.There is absolutely no hp gain.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The screen is there to straighten the airflow.The 98-02 computers have a MAF curve that goes with it.When you pull the screen it leans out the midrange throttle area due to the lack of air across the sensor.

A tuned stockish car will gain 0 HP taking the screen out and the throttle response will be affected. If you have an A4 car a drop of tranny line pressure will accur from pulling the screen without tuning.

From what I've seen there is no reason to pull the screen in a F-body making less than 390rwhp.There is absolutely no hp gain.
Reading everyone else's responses and (humbly admitting) I was one of those that thought the screen was there to catch debris. I think I read it on one of these forums.

Anyway, does the need to straighten airflow by having a screen in the MAF make it nonessential when you switch from a stock airlid (with all of its restrictions) and switch to an aftermarket lid and bellow? Just curious, because I would think that the stock lid screws up the airflow some where the aftermarket lids don't.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if i wanted to try it how does it come out older ones had a ring holdin it in how bout these
Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
Reading everyone else's responses and (humbly admitting) I was one of those that thought the screen was there to catch debris. I think I read it on one of these forums.

Anyway, does the need to straighten airflow by having a screen in the MAF make it nonessential when you switch from a stock airlid (with all of its restrictions) and switch to an aftermarket lid and bellow? Just curious, because I would think that the stock lid screws up the airflow some where the aftermarket lids don't.
No response???? I think that if the screen is there to even the airflow for the sensors then it's probably because the stock airlid is so restrictive...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

^hmmm interesting....subscribing