Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid length vs. Longtubes

Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid length vs. Longtubes

Well guys yet another header question. Is there a huge difference between mid lengths and longtubes b/c if i can get cheap mid lengths from a member im going to get them, or do yall think there is a big enough difference between the two to wait it out and get longtubes, keep in mind im a broke college student, im not planning a cam maybe just rockers in the not so near future,car just has bolt on's, all opinions are appreciated thanks guys, also what is the collector size on the mac mids? thanks again!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only difference would be depeding on the displacement and mod's. They usually dyno a tad lower from what I have seen. Hence, if you are a broke college student go with the mid tubes. If you think it may bother you in a year or so that you want long tubes don't because you will eventually buy LT's.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

check the for sale because i saw a couple header for sale there even a set of pacesetters for like 125 shipped. Ive heard people say that mids only work a little better then stock but LT get you between 10 and 20 hp. I would wait and save up for LT's and a ORY if you dont need the cats.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

i would wait it out and get longtubes. I am also a broke college student so i know where you are coming from, just keep checking here, craigslist, ebay, other forums, etc... for good deals on stuff. I just bought a set of hooker super comp ceramic coated longtubes that retail for over $600 for $280 in good cond. off craigslist and also a B&M ripper short shifter for $40 in excellent cond. that retails for $180. Just wait and look, you well come across good deals.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

the midlengths do not need o2 extensions do they?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1guy98
the midlengths do not need o2 extensions do they?
I would probably say yes, they are pretty short stock.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mac mids DONT need o2 extensions on any of the 4 sensors
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
check the for sale because i saw a couple header for sale there even a set of pacesetters for like 125 shipped. Ive heard people say that mids only work a little better then stock but LT get you between 10 and 20 hp. I would wait and save up for LT's and a ORY if you dont need the cats.
Youve heard wrong.

MAC mids are WAY better than stock manifolds.

Id say you would gain a solid 10-15HP with using them over stock.

Ever seen the inside of one of these manifolds off the car? LOL what a joke...almost as big of a joke as the y-pipe on the driver side.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you plan on staying with a mild street car then dont hesitate getting the MACS. I had them on my car, and when I swapped to longtubes there wasn't a HUGE gain that could be felt, although maybe a dyno would of showed otherwise. But if you do plan on modding it quite a bit, just go with long tubes.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

LT vs. Mid = LTs
LT vs. everything = LT's
Stock vs. Mid = Mid
Stock vs. Anything = Anything

The only issue I have is working room since the collector is in the freaking way of everything. With LSX stuff, it is a little easier to deal with but it still sucks. I would pick Mids last among everything just becuase of the goofyness of the style.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
LT vs. Mid = LTs
LT vs. everything = LT's
Stock vs. Mid = Mid
Stock vs. Anything = Anything

The only issue I have is working room since the collector is in the freaking way of everything. With LSX stuff, it is a little easier to deal with but it still sucks. I would pick Mids last among everything just becuase of the goofyness of the style.
This, unless you are getting the mids for nearly free look for some cheap LT's. Those who say the mids are the same as stock are dead wrong. My car made 399 RWHP with mids and most who switched from mids to LT's only gained a few HP tops.

Search this Thread