Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust without headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust without headers?

Currently, my car has a flowmaster on it, but everything else is stock. I don't intend on getting headers, but i do want the car to sound good and loud. So, what is the best power setup until i get headers later? (I might not ever get headers) So, i just want the best idea possible...

How about removing all the cats and running a 3inch in place of what it has now. So, basically it would be a 3inch Y-pipe going into a flowmaster. Or, should i run a 3inch Y-pipe dumped down? Maybe a 3inch Y-pipe just straight out the back on one side, or split into two?

I notice their is a cat tucked really close by the driver side door close to the header. My idea is to replace that with a 3inch pipe. If i do this, will i have problems?

Is it worth it to upgrade the pipe size without installing headers?

Please, give me some ideas for my exhaust setup with the stock headers. Thanks again.

Car is a 99 firebird formula LS1.

Last edited by Camaro 0wner; 08-01-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

The biggest problem with that idea is the factory Y pipe isn't 3" tubing. There are aftermarket Y pipes available that go to factory manifolds without cats. If you go to ws6store and look, they have a mac and a dynomax Y pipe setup that's catless.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any ideas? I want to get this done Monday.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
The biggest problem with that idea is the factory Y pipe isn't 3" tubing. There are aftermarket Y pipes available that go to factory manifolds without cats. If you go to ws6store and look, they have a mac and a dynomax Y pipe setup that's catless.
The shop is going to ditch the current Y-pipe and make me a 3inch Y-pipe to replace it. I'm also going to get rid of all the converters and replace them with a 3inch pipe. The converter by the driver side door is tight though and he said it is going to be difficult to put a pipe in place of the converter, but he will.

Make more sense?

If i do this, what should i do after the Y-pipe for optimal performance? Dump down, connect to the flowmaster, connect to something else, or just run the pipe straight out the back without a muffler?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

If it was me, I'd get a flowmaster merge for the Y pipe, then just connect it to your existing exhaust. Albeit the flowmaster 80 series mufflers should be called chokemaster, going with an off road setup should get some horsepower.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
If it was me, I'd get a flowmaster merge for the Y pipe, then just connect it to your existing exhaust. Albeit the flowmaster 80 series mufflers should be called chokemaster, going with an off road setup should get some horsepower.
I don't really understand what you just said. Flowmaster merge? What does an off road setup look like? Do you have a picture? How do i explain this to the guy?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip changing the Y pipe. You'll have to change it again later on when you get long tube headers (yes you will want headers later). Just get the loud mouth exhaust.