Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Issue Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issue Please Help!

Hey, I've posted on here once before and no one has really gotten back to me. Here is the problem, I cannot get the starter to stop working -- even with the key NOT in the ignition. I have checked all the grounds, wires, fuses, ignition relay on the steering column -- everything is fine! In order for me to get the starter to stop trying to start the car I had to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. I have never seen anything like this in my life and I have worked on A LOT of cars. Has anyone experienced a similuar problem with their Camaro? If so, how did you fix it? I have noticed the smaller of the two wires arcing to a ground near the starter. I have used heat shrink and electrical tape to try to solve the problem, no luck. Another thing I have done in order to trouble shoot this problem was I painted the starter and put it back in and now it is not constantly trying to start the car. I turn the key in the ignition and I hear a click but nothing happens. Any ideas? Help!!!

(oh and by the way, I have had the starter tested at several different auto places and they all have confirmed it is fine).
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 AM
Launching!

I have absolutely no clue, I know when you first go to start the car and it clicks, the starter is bad, but Ive never heard of something like this.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

The starter solenoid is locked in the closed position, happens every 5-6 months on my Ford PU. I keep tools in there so I can get the battery disconnected quickly. Luckily my truck's 'noid is located on the fender wall and is easy to change. I don't know where it is on the F body.
Replace it and yer problem will be gone.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thing is thats more than likely a problem with the starter more than anyhting electrical. which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. bad news is you need to replace the starter, good news is you dont have to hunt downs those electrical demsons that haunt some people forever. Ive got a cheap starter for sale that i pulled off my car awhile back, look at the link in my sig. i tested it at autozone and it worked fine.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

make sure that that the wires are not touching. the power wire goes the the terminal on the left. and make sure the black wire is grounded to the block. this just happened to me this the othere night and had was scaring the **** out of me too. ur sarter is fine. look over everything when u put it up and make sure the wires arent touching each other. just make sure the pos wire is on the left side of the top little purple wire. and make sure that the ground is to the block and than u should b fine. also make sure that the wire that goes to the solenoid is bolt on the the right terminal only nothing else.