Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Choices...HELP ME!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Choices...HELP ME!!

I want to get some LT headers but don't quite understand the whole ordeal. I have a 2001 Trans Am Ws6 so that means i do not have EGR and i only have AIR, right??

I also want some opinions on coated vs stainless steel. Which one will last longer is what i want to know. I don't wanna end up buying another set of headers because of longevity issues. Also I'm looking at QTP's LTs and possibly Kook's LTs. Does it make a difference between the 1 3/4" vs 1 7/8" headers?

Then do QTP and Kooks have specific year headers as for the 01-02 will be the same as they only have AIR and no EGR. I see that they do but they only say emissions or race headers. Does that mean that the emissions style have both EGR and AIR, then race headers meaning no EGR or AIR? Should the headers i buy have both the front and rear o2 ports? I don't plan on deleting any of those unless i through codes then i will have that fixed with ls1edit. I plan to keep AIR so does that mean i need the restrictor plates? Thanks for the help and reading the post.

Dustin
Old 11-22-2003, 02:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am NO EXPERT (in fact I just ordered my Kooks last week I've had many cars with headers including an LT1 car but this is my First LS1 experience.

Living in TX I don't think the Stainless\coated thing is as big of a deal when it comes to longevity. I had Macs on my LT1 car with there coating (high temp paint) and had no problems for 4 years in Portland, OR. Now if I lived on the east coast or when I grew up in Alaska coated was the way to go because of salt on the roads. Stainless will last longer because it won't rust while pretty much any mild steel header will eventually but it would take a LONG time in TX I imagine.

As far as which is better stainless is SUPPOSED to offer better flow characteristic but that is just documents I've read (mostly at Stainless header websites So someone else may be offer to some better real world experience.

I think budget and long term plans ALWAYS come into a mod decision. Here is what I learned in my search and why I chose what I did... Again no real world on the LS1's just alot of searches on websites and advice from friends that have real world.

Kooks\QTP pretty even have great fit and tuck up nicely for lowered cars. Are stainless from what most people are saying are getting the most HP.

JEThots\Hooker longtubes basically the same header I would go witht he jethots they have some updates and are Cheaper. Fit good have some banging issues on some cars pretty easy to fix. Good clearance for lowered cars but not as good as the The Kooks\QTP design. Mild steel jethot coated will rust eventually if there is ever a scrape or anything but I think jethot warranties it for life??

Cheap end is Pacesetters. Headers seem to be decent and they are CHEAP but a custom y-pipe is pretty much needed.

Other headers that I disqualified:

SLP : Bad ground clearance and I really hate SLP horrible customer service they could really care less!

FLP: Great headers but for the money the QTPs\kooks seem like a better deal. Some have banging issues and rust issues

PPC, TTS, TPIS- Price is higher for similar product to qtp\kooks....

Honorable mention and the ones I was actually going to go with at first were Stainless works headers. GREAT price for stainless 850 with y-pipe. PM'd many board members with them and got VERY positive responses from all with product and company!

I ended up going with Kooks because of there proven performance and fit and mostly because of the great GP prices going on right now. If not for that I probably would have taken a chance on the new Stainless works product.

If you don't want codes your going to have to get rear O2 sims from what I understand. And the rest of the fitment questions are all addressed by the different headers I would contact the vender and ask them the questions once you've picked out the headers. All of them should have bolt on headers and Y-pipe for an 01.

Well that was alot of rambling and I hope it helps
Old 11-22-2003, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

93TAWicked1, thanks for the great response. Just what i hoped for.

At first i was looking at PPC's with a custom catted y. Then i thought about it more and don't really want a shop to custom fab a y for me. Also PPC's are the newest company to offer LTs so i don't want to be one of the first to try them out.

From what i understand and people told me is that if i kept the cats then i wouldn't need rear o2 sims. Would i need o2 extensions??? Also would i need AIR restrictor plates since my car is a 2001?

My decision has swayed between almost all of the LTs offered and now i'm on Kooks or QTP's for the best fitment as i would like to have the least amount of problems about that when installed. Plus i plan on lowering my car in the future.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Kooks are a great deal on GP right now. I know you need extensions. and I don't know about the rear O2' s since I'm going with the off roard pipe...

This is on GP from More performance from this board.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:06 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
93TAWicked1, thanks for the great response. Just what i hoped for.

At first i was looking at PPC's with a custom catted y. Then i thought about it more and don't really want a shop to custom fab a y for me. Also PPC's are the newest company to offer LTs so i don't want to be one of the first to try them out.

From what i understand and people told me is that if i kept the cats then i wouldn't need rear o2 sims. Would i need o2 extensions??? Also would i need AIR restrictor plates since my car is a 2001?

My decision has swayed between almost all of the LTs offered and now i'm on Kooks or QTP's for the best fitment as i would like to have the least amount of problems about that when installed. Plus i plan on lowering my car in the future.
most aftermarket Y's dont have rear o2 bung provisions. thats why its neccessary to turn them off with edit/predator or use o2 sims. you'll need o2 extensions for the front. if you keep the air system then you'll need the air restrictor plates so you dont burn up your check vavles. it doesnt matter what year you have.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the Pacesetter with ORY & custom tuning. (Chris Robinson).
Have had them approx. 6 months with absolutely no problems.
I installed them in about 6 hrs in my driveway.
hey, i work in Irving. ( loop 12 & Irving Blvd.) I could meet you some time if you like & you can get a visual.
Good luck!
Old 11-23-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

just got pacesetters here, i got the ypipe headers and o2 extentions all for under 500 bucks. ill let you know what i think about these. i plan on modifying the y pipe a little with a different collector so i dont see a problem wiht it.