Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Yeah, I guess you're right. I drive my car like I stole it. hahaha
Is your car lowered any?
yep revalved bilsteins and the eibach prokit

look in the pics above how low my 3" pipes hang, when i had LM1 resonators it was worse cause the actual bullet is 4" wide in the middle
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have finally finished the true duals project for my 1995 Z28. The entire system is stainless steel and was made from Magnaflow mandrel bent pipes.

Here are the specs:
Flowmaster 3" to 2.5" reducers
Magnaflow stainless (5) J-bends, (4) L bends and (1) 45 degree bend
Woolf aircraft (2) 2.5" radius L bends
Magnaflow dual in/out (internal X) muffler
Magnaflow X-pipe
Magnaflow stainless dual oval tips
Dynomax stainless cutouts
QTP electric cutouts
Lots of stainless Accu-seal almps

I designed the cutout pipes to be easily removed and replaced with catalytic converters should the want or need ever arise. Takes about 30 minutes to do this. Also the whole thing can be easily removed rather easily just like a catback.

All pipes are stainless MIG welded and ground smooth for a seamless look. I polished the rear pipes exiting the muffler to a very shiny finish as well.

The exhaust sound is deep with absolutely no signs of rasp, popping or machine gun sounds in the 2K RPM range like what I had with the old Borla catback and ORY pipe. The sound volume at idle, as well as WOT, is similar to any other catback. Definitely not overly loud unless you open the cutouts. Maybe this is due to the Magnaflow X-pipe up front and the internal X-pipe in the muffler. The exhaust waves should certainly be balanced with this setup.

Ground clearance is outstanding with the lowest point being ~5" off the ground. This is on the pipes just before they go over the axle. I have yet to bang a pipe.

I also managed to reuse all the factory exhaust hanger points to secure the new system. I only had to custom make one new hanger, just in front of the axle as well as the pair at the tips. There are also stainless O2 bungs welded into each reducer for easy hookup to the wideband O2 at the dyno.

Thanks to everybody who offered help and advice with this project. I could not be happier with the final results.

Here are the pics of the system uninstalled:

Here are some installed pics:

Here is a shot from behind:

Here are some sound clips:
Cutout closed:

Cutouts open:
Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have custom true duals that i bought used back in 2004/2005. The guy i bought them from i believe payed a bit over $500, but thats cause he had it installed with Magnaflow 4x9s. I think he said it would have came out to $450 with Dynomax bullets. The system is 3" dumped at the rear end, and im currently running SLP shotgun resonators. Which are the same resonators found on the SLP Loudmouth 1. Running SLP LTs (old design) as well, and the system hangs down a nice amount, but not as bad as the headers do. Its loud, but then again i've always enjoyed it loud. Im actually considering taking off the resonators, and slapping on some Spintech Super Pro Streets. That way i can still keep it loud how i like it, yet give the car a nice muscle car tone.
-Joel

**Heres a clip of mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq8EvNSvu9A
Old 08-27-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a custom true dual over the axle and out the back system installed on my lowered 2000 SS by a good friend of mine. It included new high flow cats. My two requirements were that it would be tucked up well, and wasn't very visible anywhere side, back, etc.

Here is a link to all of the photos and a sound clip made right after the intall, frankly it sounds better now.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...%20SS/Exhaust/

A couple of the photos we took.

Oh and the obligatory Miller Beer can to show clearance shot.

He does sell that x-pipe that he makes. It's not mandrel bent and it's not stainless, two things I didn't care about at all.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by King Nothing
yep revalved bilsteins and the eibach prokit

look in the pics above how low my 3" pipes hang, when i had LM1 resonators it was worse cause the actual bullet is 4" wide in the middle
I was running the Sportline kit, which is quite a bit lower. Maybe that was the problem. Also I'm thinking that the rate is off on the stock springs as well -too worn perhaps. That may be why I'm nailing the pipes now.
You have a really clean looking ride, bro. I like it.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

custom 3in H pipe and single chamer clones, ran out the back under axel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-Dk2gAlcs
Old 08-27-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^That's a nice setup. I love single chamber clones. That's what I have on my LT1, but with an x-pipe.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...ust_192864.htm
Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ur vid is what made me get them
Old 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

LT1s sound ways better than LS1s
Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98blackbirdta
^^^ur vid is what made me get them
haha. Do you have any other sound clips of your car? Like taking off or anything? I didn't really plan on putting single chambers on the LS1, because they seem to be more prone to rasp, and I wanted a little deeper tone, by going to super 40 series mufflers. But, after hearing yours, I might just go with the single chambers again, and just throw some cats on it, to tame it down a little.

Also, where'd you get your H pipe? Is it just a universal H that was fabbed to fit, or is it all completely custom by the shop?

Last edited by tspence45; 08-28-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HTX
LT1s sound ways better than LS1s
Most of the time, yes. But, I've never heard an LT1 with nothing but a muffler delete sound good. There's a couple LS1's in my area, with nothing but muffler deletes and they actually sound really good. And there's no rasp for some reason also.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 108dragon
I was running the Sportline kit, which is quite a bit lower. Maybe that was the problem. Also I'm thinking that the rate is off on the stock springs as well -too worn perhaps. That may be why I'm nailing the pipes now.
You have a really clean looking ride, bro. I like it.
thanks man! it actually looks quite abit different now

i need to take some better pics
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tspence45
haha. Do you have any other sound clips of your car? Like taking off or anything? I didn't really plan on putting single chambers on the LS1, because they seem to be more prone to rasp, and I wanted a little deeper tone, by going to super 40 series mufflers. But, after hearing yours, I might just go with the single chambers again, and just throw some cats on it, to tame it down a little.

Also, where'd you get your H pipe? Is it just a universal H that was fabbed to fit, or is it all completely custom by the shop?
ill try and get some for you tomarrow it sound more like the 03/04 cobras when driving

the H pipe is custom from headers back, roger at texas quality performance exhaust fabbed it up
Old 08-29-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

ill try and get some for you tomarrow it sound more like the 03/04 cobras when driving

the H pipe is custom from headers back, roger at texas quality performance exhaust fabbed it up
If it sounds like a Cobra when driving, then that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll still probably end up running cats though. I know of a few people around lately, that have gotten $750 fines for no cats. And I'd rather not get one. lol. I could probably just take a pic of your setup into my exhaust guy, and have him replicate it, but with cats, for pretty cheap.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Hey man, did you end up getting anymore vids the other day?

Quick Reply: True Duals