Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat?

i have borla exhaust system and it is just way to quit for me. i was thinking of cutting the cats for now till i can afford to put long tubes on. if i do cut the cats and put a spacer for the rear o2 sensor should my ses light come on. and do yall think it will make it any louder. it came with the borla system thats the only reason i have would like slp loudmouth.
but should the no cats hurt anything or make the light come on, if so what are some tricks. thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No cats will be louder, and your exhaust will stink.

You can plug in O2 simulators if you don't want to look at the SES light.

Or, you can drive with the light on without causing the car any harm. Problem with not having the SES light is that it will not be there when you might need it.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

if you use the o2 simulators you were talking about will that cause the light to go off for the o2 sensors only, if there is another problem like you said will it still come on. thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

go look under your car. about one foot back from your passenger side exhaust pipe there's probably a flange with a plate in the middle. it might be solid, it might have a hole. either way, take it out. borla makes adjustable systems for our cars. with the plate out none of the exhaust will flow through the muffler(aka a cutout). it will be pretty loud. if that's not loud enough then worry about getting rid of the cats.

also, i've heard of o2 sims not working quite often. it's better just to get the rears tuned out. for the amount of work it is getting the cats off of the manifolds(which 90% of the time requires removing the whole manifold due to rust), then paying to have pipes welded in their places, and the minimal gains hp and sound wise it's really not worth the effort in my opinion. manifolds hold back a lot of the sound as well. just save for longtubes.

Last edited by therealcreeper; 09-07-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

yea if you are talking about the one where the muffler and passanger side splits off, i dont have it in there is is straite through i checked. still very quite till get on the gas.