Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast intakes causing # 7 cylinder failure ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

We just completed back to back tests of 3 different stock rails, same set of injs, same PCM, same pump,,,Found NO difference in flow between 1 and 7.[Or any other inj, for that matter.] Might be a different case if the injs are dirty w/ the crap Jimmy is mentioning.. A clean system worked perfectly.
The test bench:
ASNU inj bench, stabilized power sources, modded G-van PCM, LS1 injectors that I had previously cleaned and flowed.

More to come...
Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe its something that can be compensated within the tune
Old 09-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have my LS1 coolant tubes, when I went ot a LS6 intake I just hammered down on them to slightly oval the tube, it's worked great for both my LS6 and my FAST intake swaps.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have your injectors cleaned and flow tested run the richest ones on 7/8.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Launching!

so what exactly are you guys saying? if i did a FAST 90 swap i COULDNT use my stock cooling tubes or what? i dont understand...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

I have seen 2 engines in the past month with this problem. Both running fast 92 with fast throttle bodies and trick flow heads. One forged bottom end and the other stock. Built and tuned at different shops, but both have the same problem. Also both engines broke exhaust rocker arm on cylinder 7 and were not over reved. I am leaning toward a flaw in the fast intake. maybe it sends too much air to cylinder 7 and makes it run lean? No doubt that the FAST intake makes power, but I would much rather have reliability than a extra 10-15 hp.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

I have seen two do this myself on the same cylinder. I have been running the **** out of mine with a 90/90, H/C setup on a 98 stock bottom(96K) with dang near 12:1 on pump gas with no failure ?? But mine is ported so that could make a diff. in the air flow to #7 ? I do have my coolant blocked off in the back as well. I like hearing everyone's opinion on this as well . It has me thinking if it is a cooling problem, mine has a 160 thermo in it and will not break 185 degree's on the hottest day in the summer ... Is this possibly why mine has lived so long ?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am wondering do the ls6's have the same problem? Do they have the same cooling passages as the ls1?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

So the solution to the #7 8 getting hot is to add another cooling tube in the back with one already in the front?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Aggie
It is a cooling issue - everything you hear about air flow and fuel is false. You can switch the intake around and would assume #2 would fail if it was airflow - but 7 still fails.
Exactly, I did not read the rest of the posts as this is the correct one, its a heat issue, not a air issue.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

This issue is address in Will Hanzel's How to Build LS1/6 engines book. And yes he claims it is due to the cooling crossover being removed. You can modify the underside of an LS6 intake and push down the tubes to work, but those with a FAST intake have almost ZERO room to fit an LS1 style crossover tube.

Like SOMbitch said, if you have flow matched injectors you can compensate by putting the highest flowing ones in the rear cylinders.

Anyone have any bright ideas for how to run a crossover tube from the front to the rear on a FAST intake? Anyone done this, pics?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
This issue is address in Will Hanzel's How to Build LS1/6 engines book. And yes he claims it is due to the cooling crossover being removed. You can modify the underside of an LS6 intake and push down the tubes to work, but those with a FAST intake have almost ZERO room to fit an LS1 style crossover tube.

Like SOMbitch said, if you have flow matched injectors you can compensate by putting the highest flowing ones in the rear cylinders.

Anyone have any bright ideas for how to run a crossover tube from the front to the rear on a FAST intake? Anyone done this, pics?
No pics, but when I switched from my LS6 intake to the FAST 90/90 i did nothing to my tubes, previously with the LS6 intake I ovaled them down and took all the mesh and clips off, haven't had any problems yet.

And I'm spraying on top of that, so I figure if this was an issue...my motor would have been toast awhile ago.

Quick Reply: Fast intakes causing # 7 cylinder failure ??