Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical short after tranny install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical short after tranny install.

One thing i am going to say is that when i was taking out the starter i never disconnected the battery. So the battery cable grounded quiet a few times. hard core. Did tranny. Car started up fine but now I can see my gauges flickering and all going haywire. From the termp gauge all the way to speedometer. They all flicker from time to time like if the wrong input was being sent. All I have for codes is anti theft code and TCC solenoid circuit. I did replace the TCC soloenoid because I broke it when I opened transmission. So I had to splice wires and re-attach. I can see wire current is passing from all over the car to ground parts./ ex: exhaust to panhard rod. Nitrous line to exhaust pipe. ETC. Starter wires are fine. XCar runs fine. There are no sensor wires pinched between the tranny and block. Don't think its PCM. But i need to find out what is causing short. I would appreciate any help.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Launching!

i was thinking that maybe one of tyhe wires inside the tranny came loose and is grounding out inside the tranny. Sometimes it does go away and everything is fine. Then it comes back. im wondering if the tranny wires have enough juice to ground out like at the exhaust pipes.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Come on guys. Im running out of ideas and I don't know what to check. car runs fine. Its just that from time to time the temp gauge will turn off to 0. then come back on. speedometer does the same. the oil gauge flickers to much. My only question is if the TCC solenoid wire has enough juice to ground out throughout the whole motor and tranny and exhaust. Its not a spark. it just lights up like a liitle bit of light passes through.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Check all grounds on the engine block. Something is hitting metal or shorting out. When I had this issue it was the power wires from the battery to the starter. It was making contact to a metal piece when I hit bumps.

When you spliced those wires make sure none of the wires ends broke threw the electrical tape and both wire are touching. 1 or 2 strands can do this.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Well. I opened tranny and wires looked fine. I could not find anything else. Gonna have PCM reflashed and ill see if its that.