Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp dual/dual with a cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine from SLP and checked it before I put it on. It didn't have the restrictor but still was VERY quiet. Now that I have that muffler off the car, it's hard to beleive that it supposedly flows so good. When you look at the guts, it sure doesn't look free flowing.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this exact exhasut was on my roommates car and it is a 408 H/C/I car and it picked up 28 hp from going through the exhaust to opening the cutouts. BTW it is the dual dual that is on the left.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

cody161....i think that is the difference in sound from yours to others....my original D/D was like the one on the right...i heard one that is on the left and definitly better sounding. The one on the right is 2 1/2 inch into the muffler and the one on the left is 3 inches. Also interested in what restricter plate you took out, i thought GM and SLP stopped putting those in there mufflers after 1998?

Thats why i just purchased this from someone on here.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

when i took mine apart you could tell where it had already been removed. i'm not sure what year car this one come off of but it was a used one so i'll have to do some checking.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cody161
when i took mine apart you could tell where it had already been removed. i'm not sure what year car this one come off of but it was a used one so i'll have to do some checking.
Thanks
I'm hoping to get a little tamer sound after putting the headers and cam in.....the GMMG is just a little to loud around town and with the top down. Kids won't like the tamer sound, but it won't be such a cop magnet when i give it a little gas...and maybe i'll be able to hear the radio.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like this exhaust on stock cube cars, but on a car with some added displacement, steer clear of it. Trust me on that.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dondb
cody161....i think that is the difference in sound from yours to others....my original D/D was like the one on the right...i heard one that is on the left and definitly better sounding. The one on the right is 2 1/2 inch into the muffler and the one on the left is 3 inches. Also interested in what restricter plate you took out, i thought GM and SLP stopped putting those in there mufflers after 1998?

Thats why i just purchased this from someone on here.
I've got the 3" system on the left with no restrictor plate. That's the muffler I I just switched out for the spintech
Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I like this exhaust on stock cube cars, but on a car with some added displacement, steer clear of it. Trust me on that.
Are you saying this because of the HP loss? I'm told these D/D setups are good until 400HP with maybe 10HP loss?? My current setup is a GMMG catback with a special GMMG chambered i-pipe, and my tuner says the i-pipe is robbing 20 HP and maybe 30 on the torque, and it's to loud for my taste. Maybe i just cut out the existing D/D muffler and replace it with ????
Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AFTICA
I've got the 3" system on the left with no restrictor plate. That's the muffler I I just switched out for the spintech
Which Spintech did you buy? Was it the same size as the D/D you took out?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My car came with the SLP dual dual from the factory but it has a nasty 2 1/2" I pipe that goes over the axle. It is a serious crush bend, I gain 17hp and 14tq just from opening the cutout. I even cut the left side tailpipe off looking for the "ring of silence" restrictor but sadly it was not there.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Which Spintech did you buy? Was it the same size as the D/D you took out?
It was this muffler http://www.spintechmufflers.com/inde...ewCat&catId=28

specifically part # 343SC. It had the same pipe configuration but about 4.5 inches shorter (and about 7 lbs lighter) than the SLP. Just used a 4.5" section of 2.5 inch diam pipe on the drivers side to extend out to the existing dual/dual tail pipe. Passenger side inlet and dual/dual tail pipe bolted right up.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the newer version of the slp dual dual. it looks no different than the restricted on the out side. i had cut outs installed and only gained 1 mph at the track being open. i ran the same et's through the exhaust. the D/D exhaust in the pic on the right that has the single tips is the GM factory ss catback. it has nothing to to with the slp catback on the right. even with the restricter plate removed from the slp exhaust there isn't much gain on the dyno. it's been proven many times that the slp dual/dual catback is the one of the best flowing 3 inch catbacks. i wouldn't trade my slp dual dual for anything. i have another slp dual dual thats never been cut sitting in my garage. if you want you slp dual dual a little louder, take the muffler off...soak the the inside with gas and burn the fiberglass packing out. i did this before and it made a bigger sound difference over removing the restricter plate located in the driver side tail pipe that very FEW catbacks had.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Just FYI. Take a look at the picture on the left. That's the inlet of the SLP Dual/Dual muffler. Exhaust goes to the end, gets caught in that little ring at the other end of the muffler, then has to make a 90 degree turn to go towards the tailpipe side of the muffler. When it gets there it has to make another 90 degree turn, either right or left to go out the tailpipes. Picture on the right is looking thru one tailpipe outlet to the other one.

Some people take pictures of birds or scenery, I take pictures of the insides of mufflers. LOL
Attached Thumbnails slp dual/dual with a cam-p1020567-large-.jpg   slp dual/dual with a cam-p1020569-large-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
NewOrleansLT1 (11-30-2020)
Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AFTICA
Just FYI. Take a look at the picture on the left. That's the inlet of the SLP Dual/Dual muffler. Exhaust goes to the end, gets caught in that little ring at the other end of the muffler, then has to make a 90 degree turn to go towards the tailpipe side of the muffler. When it gets there it has to make another 90 degree turn, either right or left to go out the tailpipes. Picture on the right is looking thru one tailpipe outlet to the other one.

Some people take pictures of birds or scenery, I take pictures of the insides of mufflers. LOL
the second pic... if the slp dual dual muffler has the restricter plate in it, you won't be able to see daylight on the other side like you do in this pic. i have pics with that extra baffle in the way. i'll try to dig them up.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you saying this because of the HP loss? I'm told these D/D setups are good until 400HP with maybe 10HP loss?? My current setup is a GMMG catback with a special GMMG chambered i-pipe, and my tuner says the i-pipe is robbing 20 HP and maybe 30 on the torque, and it's to loud for my taste. Maybe i just cut out the existing D/D muffler and replace it with ????
Well two reasons, first a huge rwhp loss. My car picked up 28 rwhp with the cutouts open over this exhaust. Secondly, I thought it sounded like junk.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the input
I think i'm going to throw the D/D in and dyno the car...since i have a dyno with the GMMG, i'll be able to compare the two. I guess it all comes down to personal taste, since some people love it and some don't. I think i've spent close to 2k screwing around with different setups....and everytime i do a new mod things change I guess thats what keeps the sponsers on this site in business!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input
I think i'm going to throw the D/D in and dyno the car...since i have a dyno with the GMMG, i'll be able to compare the two. I guess it all comes down to personal taste, since some people love it and some don't. I think i've spent close to 2k screwing around with different setups....and everytime i do a new mod things change I guess thats what keeps the sponsers on this site in business!
I'd love to see a before and after video of the GMMG vs. the Dual/Dual. My brother has the factory installed SLP Dual/Dual on his 02 SS and would like to install GMMG and I'm sure he'll eventually want to upgrade his cam. So any vids or sounds clips would be a wonderful insite on what his car may sound like with the 224 cam with GMMG and Dual/Dual.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I'd love to see a before and after video of the GMMG vs. the Dual/Dual. My brother has the factory installed SLP Dual/Dual on his 02 SS and would like to install GMMG and I'm sure he'll eventually want to upgrade his cam. So any vids or sounds clips would be a wonderful insite on what his car may sound like with the 224 cam with GMMG and Dual/Dual.
Your going to have to be patient....i just put my car away for the winter
Take it out mid March....i'll vid the change and post.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to have to be patient....i just put my car away for the winter
Take it out mid March....i'll vid the change and post.
Patience is a virtue. Deal. Thanks alot.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Patience is a virtue. Deal. Thanks alot.
You can also go here and click on the C/B, and find the cam you have.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/

Quick Reply: slp dual/dual with a cam