Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by wire and auto to manual question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive by wire and auto to manual question.

1) I bought a 99 Vette motor with the drive by wire. I read that all I need to make it work is the gas pedal from that vette? Would any gas pedal w/DBW work? Is it worth it to go this route? If not, I would need the regular cable throttle body, and new harness, right?

2) The motor was an auto. Is it possible, if I keep the PCM, to convert it to a manual PCM? Or do I need the manual PCM?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Another guy said that DBW and cable TB, and also auto to manual are correctable in the PCM. Yes? No?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboGoKart
Another guy said that DBW and cable TB, and also auto to manual are correctable in the PCM. Yes? No?
I dont know about the drive by wire but I would do the cable anyway. and yes you can teflash the PCM to auto or manual when doing a conversion just need to find a tuner.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Awesome thanks! Tuner is no problem because it's going to get a cam since it's already out of the car. Haha, best time. I'll probably go to IPS Motorsports here in Columbus.

I'm going to stick with DBW because I have the TAC that came with my harness, so all I need is the Corvette pedal, and the wiring/2 plugs that goes from the pedal to the TAC.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

You need more than just the gas pedal. You would most likely need the entire vette harness along with its BCM. Anyone correct me if i'm wrong but i'm almost positive you can not just use the pedal from the vette.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

What is the BCM?

I have the complete engine harness, PCM, and TAC from a 99 Vette.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Anyone else?

Have DBW TB, engine harness, and TAC. Need Vette pedal/DBW sensor on the pedal. Anything else?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

There is a separate harness that controls the rest of the car. The PCM only does the powertrain. Everything else is done by the Body Control Module. The Camaro harness will not have the inputs for a DBW.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Dang. I dont know about that then. Lol. The dealer wants like almost $1400 for the BCM. I pulled this from alldata:

The TAC module is the 'Control Center' for the electronic throttle system. The TAC module and the PCM communicate via a dedicated redundant serial data circuit. The TAC module and the PCM monitor the commanded throttle position and compare it to the actual throttle position. This is accomplished by monitoring the APP and the TP sensor. These two values must be within a calibrated value of each other. The TAC module also monitors each individual circuit of the TP sensor and the APP to verify proper operation.
Sounds like there all it needs is the TAC, but after reading about the BCM, seems like you would need that too. I'm not paying $1400 for that, then the additional for the harness lol.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Actually now that I read that again, it seems that the TAC communicates directly to the PCM, so you'd be fine without the BCM.

APP = Accelerator Position Sensor (i.e. sensor on the Vette pedal).
Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

When the PCM detects a malfunction with the APP sensor circuits, the following DTCs will set:

DTC P1125 APP System.
DTC P1275 APP Sensor 1 Circuit.
DTC P1276 APP Sensor 1 Circuit Performance.
DTC P1280 APP Sensor 2 Circuit.
DTC P1281 APP Sensor 2 Circuit Performance.
DTC P1285 APP Sensor 3 Circuit.
DTC P1286 APP Sensor 3 Circuit Performance.
The PCM does in fact monitor the APP and TPS and TAC. No reason this shouldn't work w/o the BCM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

For those who search this topic in the future....read this link! All you need is the Wiring harness for DBW, the DBW throttle body w/TPS and servomotor, TAC, and pedal w/APP sensor, and obviously the ECU w/DBW. The APP must match the TAC. Read this link for more details. The BCM is NOT needed for drive by wire.

http://chevythunder.com/drive_by_wir...hrottle%20Body

Quick Reply: Drive by wire and auto to manual question.