Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reaccuring Exhaust Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reaccuring Exhaust Leaks

After doing a WOT pass on the freeway the motor started to sound strange under throttle but ran fine. It sounds like an exhaust leak and after a call to the previous owner of the car he informed me the car often randomly sprouted exhaust leaks.

This makes sense for what had happened to me as the sound is only under acceleration and sounds like it is coming from around the passenger side header.

Any ideas on how to fix this leak and how to prevent them from reoccurring?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exhaust manifold gaskets are you using? We typically recommend customers to use stock GM gaskets on headers as well. They will last longer than the cheap paper gaskets supplied by most header manufacturers. I would pull the headers off and replace them. Be sure to look a the header flange while it is off to see if it is warped. If it is, that is the reason for the reoccurring problem. Let us know if you need some gaskets!

Jon
Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second that motion - I've used GM MLS header gaskets for the head to header connection along with ARP header studs with great success. If it is closer to the collector, I've tried different things there, but it depends on the type of connection you have.