Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air pump?

Have a situation with a 2000 camaro ss. Its actually my moms car, and she is having trouble with an engine code that will not let it pass emissions inspection in washington state. From what she relayed to me from the mechanics that looked at it, she said they told her there is something that has flaps that open and close, that are part of the emissions system that are seized up, I assumed this would be the air pump? she was told by them that it was such a problematic part on the first years of the LS1 in these cars that it was later eliminated. Not sure how much of that is true, but if that is the case, is there a way for a computer tuner to disable this system so that it wont throw codes but it will show that its okay on a diagnostic scan? or some other way to trick the system into thinking its working so that she doesnt have so sink money into replacing it? She was also told that it wont effect driveability or efficiency with out it functioning, its kind of a waste to put money into fixing it if its just going to fail again.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

i hear about more problems with EGR valves sticking shut, that would also make sense because it was eliminated on the 01's and 02's
Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's probably the EGR system. The EGR is located on the passenger head in the front. It also has a hoses that come from the manifolds to the EGR and has a hose that goes to the intake manifold. You should be able to find one on here for cheap. Most people without emmisons take them off.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

ah of course, I didnt even think about the EGR valve! I will have to take the car back to have it scanned again to make sure and then start hunting for one. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It could also be the air tube valves that mount to each exhaust manifold.