Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on plug wire upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Feedback on plug wire upgrade?

First off, I should mention this question is in regards to my truck. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes. I ran this by the truck section already, but I wanted to ask the car crowd specifically:

Has anyone noticed any ill side effects to upgrading their plug wires?

What's the resistance on stock LS1 wires?

Is it a worthwhile upgrade on these motors?

Has anyone gone through the trouble to log data before and after a swap?

--

SOTP tells me I lost power after I installed some Taylors. Some days the truck feels more sluggish and harder to kick down out of gear. Others it runs like a top. I gained torque down low, but it takes longer to get up and go on the highway. The engine just feels "tighter".

I'm CERTAIN they're all installed correctly.

The stock wires on my old 5.3 truck, were 400 ohms. On a whim, I put on some MSD 8.5's. I think they were all 45-55 ohms. They worked great. More power and all around driveability than a cat-back.

I measured the wires on the new HO 6.0, and they weighed in at 900 ohms. I figure "Hey, I wonder how much a set of wires will wake THIS thing up.". So I put on some Taylor Thundervolt 50's. They're around 35-40 ohms. I'm disappointed with the results.

I'm wondering if I'm getting some KR for whatever reason. I don't see why GM would more than double the resistance of their plug wires on this motor. Are knock sensors (in general) sensitive enough to pick up a stronger spark?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2003, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Just wanted to post and update.

The engine has been moody as anything lately. Some days it runs awesome. Park it for 20 minutes, take it back out, and it's a turd... and vise versa.

I went to swap my stock wires back on. Two of the Taylors let go on me. Both of them left the spark-plug clip still attached to the plug.

It looks like those metal clips were attached too tightly to the inner core of the wire, comprimising it's strength.

Put the stockers back on, and the engine is back to what I'm used to. Kicks down at the drop of a hat. Pulls much more 'freely'. Throws those lazer warnings all the time.

I'll see what Taylor says about this.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marc_w
Just wanted to post and update.

I went to swap my stock wires back on. Two of the Taylors let go on me. Both of them left the spark-plug clip still attached to the plug.

It looks like those metal clips were attached too tightly to the inner core of the wire, comprimising it's strength.

Put the stockers back on, and the engine is back to what I'm used to. Kicks down at the drop of a hat. Pulls much more 'freely'. Throws those lazer warnings all the time.

I'll see what Taylor says about this.

i ****** hear ya man. same deal with me, except i had 3 wires give out. worst quality wire i've dealt with. i pulled by the boot to and not the wire so i know it wasnt my fault. i said **** it and bought some new oem wires and have been problem free.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

That's a bummer. I found some info about the high-temp rubber at the plug end of things drying out or 'cooking' from the heat. The poster said the rubber was so brittle, that it just cracked apart.

I contacted Taylor about my problems... They believe the performance/breakage issue was due to improper crimping of the metal clip. They offered to replace them under warranty, granted I return the busted one to the place I bought them from. Summit.

The ***** in their court now!
Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Okay, posting a follow up:

Taylor replaced the wires for me. They agreed that they were improperly crimped.

I got my new wires on last night, and the truck runs MINT. I got the gains I expected.

The engine pulls nice and clean, and takes much less throttle to get up to speed.