Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler replacement, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler replacement, need opinions

Hello all,

I have an SLP LM1 and like most other people, I got tired of it with LT's and ORY. I was going to simply replace it with a moroso or magnaflow muffler and a cutout. Now I don't think I can fit a cutout and that muffler in there without a bunch of fabrication.

So do you think it would be smarter to just put a regular style muffler in the stock location and then mount my cutout where they usually are in the I pipe? How hard would it be to mount a normal muffler in the stock location when I have the SLP style now?

Which idea would be better/cheaper?

Thanks all!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Since you mentioned running a cutout I would run the hooker catback. Its affordable, flows well, and isn't too loud. I loved this setup on my 01.

If you can weld or know a welder then you may save some money just buying a crossflow muffler and installing it yourself. If you take it to a shop then they will get there money in labor charges from you.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Do you think it would be a fortune just to have them cut the pipe and put the muffler in it's place? I'm keeping the same tips and whatnot. Though at that point a catback might be a smarter idea. I'm not sure how the sizing and whatnot will work out with the slp already being there.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Oh I see what your saying. I would say a shop would charge at least 50 bucks to do that....
Old 11-28-2009, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome, thanks a lot.

I see it was unclear at first. I didn't know how to explain what I wanted.

Anyone else feel free to chime in on whether this is a good idea or if there's a better plan.

I just want to quiet it down a bunch, especially because after a H/C swap I know it'll get even louder. I'm tired of waking the neighbors coming home at 2am. Heh.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I just want to quiet it down a bunch, especially because after a H/C swap I know it'll get even louder. I'm tired of waking the neighbors coming home at 2am. Heh.
Any bullet style muffler is going to be loud. LM2, borla, or magnaflow bullets will help some but not much. They are all straight through designs and will still probably wake the neighbors