Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modification for Pace Setter Y Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modification for Pace Setter Y Pipe

Here's my fix for the PS Y pipe collector:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/psypipe.jpg

I'm going to use this Flowmaster dual 3" x 3 1/2" collector with mandrel U bends. I cut these two stainless steel U bends out of my SLP dual/dual catback pipe. I used my original Hooker pipe so had these left over. I have a 3 1/2" cutout that will fit the Flowmaster collector.

I will have to cut them slightly shorter than shown and then have a muffler shop swage them to go over the PS pipe.

I don't think the crushed portion of the PS is going to be much of a restriction for my hp level. It still has more flow area than a 2 1/2" pipe.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good fix but your now talking nearly if not over $200 for their ypipe still iwth crushes in it...i thought about doing something similar but for that id just buy everything i needed and weld it together myself...for the price i really dont think it can be beat.

lata
Bill
Old 12-18-2003, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

That's a good idea larry. It looks to be like the mufflex Y pipe for the hooker long tubes but for the cost in doing all this i would just buy a mufflex Y pipe for the PS,if they make them yet.

Any track times compared to your old headers Vs. PS long tubes yet?
Old 12-18-2003, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

$125 for the Y pipe and $40 for the Flowmaster collector. The two U bends were free, already had them. Probably $10 to get the two pipes swaged up at the muffler shop (they have done this at no charge in the past) and I'll do the rest. Not nearly as much as the $300 Mufflex. The current Mufflex is not going to fit I'm afraid without modification making it even more expensive.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

125 for the y plus shipping normally plus i thought it was mroe like 45 but anyway another 20-25 for a reducer for some of us running a 3" exhaust then whatever to have the stuff welded up so your talking at least 190 for normal people for parts and labor to make a still iffy ypipe. Ive researched and i could buy everything needed including 3 band clamps at 10 bucks a pop for 190 to make it mandrel bent with that same collector with no crushes. Im just saying I personally dont think its worth the extra cash to modify the pacesetter one.

lata
Bill
Old 12-18-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foff667
125 for the y plus shipping normally plus i thought it was mroe like 45 but anyway another 20-25 for a reducer for some of us running a 3" exhaust then whatever to have the stuff welded up so your talking at least 190 for normal people for parts and labor to make a still iffy ypipe. Ive researched and i could buy everything needed including 3 band clamps at 10 bucks a pop for 190 to make it mandrel bent with that same collector with no crushes. Im just saying I personally dont think its worth the extra cash to modify the pacesetter one.

lata
Bill
Taking the crush out of this pipe is no more trouble than splicing in two pieces of pipe. However, Pace Setter put the crush in this pipe for fit. Won't you need the clearance on yours as well? Without the crush, assuming it's needed, you would need a bend in the pipe where it connects to the header to lower the Y pipe for correct clearance on an uncrushed pipe.

I would like to see a pic of yours when you get it finished.

Summit offers free shipping. $123.99 for the Y pipe and $43.39 for the collector.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i got the pacesetter ypipe at 10% off wholesale because of the shipping problems i had with them so for the 85 bucks i spent i really cant beat it...so youll see no pics but i researched for the month that i went back and forth with pacesetter on doing one for myself and figured 30 for band clamps, 44 for the collector, 25ish for a reducer, 62 for 4 pieces of mandrel bent tubing, several flanges all told it was gonna be like 190ish plus 8 for shipping through summit. I figured i could do like we did on my truck for clearance and have it go under parts instead of going strait with a crush lol im not trying to argue with you larry about it im just saying ive personally thought about several options and came to the conclusion of either one or other other do it right or buy theirs otherwise I'd just be wasting power one way or the other.

lata
Bill