Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake vs BBK

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I've read it, its just long and I don't remember everything.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by witry
I dont know if you know this or not, but F-bodys came with different intakes in different years. 98-00 came with the LS1 style intake, 01-02 came with the LS6 intake. If you would have read the OP signature he has a 98, which makes it an LS1 style.

Your statement above is true, going from an LS6 manifold to BBK is a waist of money just for maybe 5hp, but going from an LS1 to a BBK is going to make a bit of difference, and some people preffer the aluminum look (like me). So if the BBK only makes 5 more hp the an LS6 then why buy an LS6 manifold for $300+ if for the same money you can get the BBK and make more power, 5hp is 5hp it still counts towards the final HP number, plus you get the appereance of the nice clean aluminum
i am aware of the different intakes in different years. i still can't see how someone can justify spending an extra $300 to get the few extra hp. that money can be spent elsewhere. however, if you're all about getting the most out of your intake setup, save up for the fast.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

To the above poster: I'm the OP WYTRY, not witry, whom you copied that post from, lol. Confusing I know
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I picked up my typhoon pretty cheap or I would have went w/ the BBK...like u I didnt like the look of the stocker which is why i didnt go w/ the LS6.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Hey guys i just got my 85mm BBK TB and i want to install it but i have never done a TB before. How hard is it ? and will i have to tune the TB?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oboro, no. The TB itself is not 'tuneable' as you're probably thinking. The MAF (mass airflow sensor) you're probably running is what reads how much air is going past into the intake and engine. So, a small change in the throttle body isn't going to necessitate having to retune the computer for the ignition system. Would it hurt, no. Would you net a noticeable change? No. Is it worth the cost to retune after changing a TB? No. Save your money for your next modifications.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 AM
TECH Junkie

oboro... what Duster said...

Don't worry, it's very easy to swap the TB's... it's just 3 10mm bolts, and two cables... literally like a 2 minute job. Besides taking your lid off of course lol...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wytry
Yea I've read it, its just long and I don't remember everything.
your heads/cam/intake making a whopping 406 to the wheels???
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Just thought I'd add to this thread, I have mixed emotions about the BBK so far. My car has been consistantly running 12.7-12.8s with a best of 12.46 with good air. I installed the BBK SSI intake last friday and went down on the same tune I've been running for months and the car felt like a dog! I tried adding fuel as I could tell the car was leaning, no gains at all. The intake was soo hot you could roast hotdogs on it! The air was similar to the day I went the 12.46, the best the car went was a 12.99. It went 4 13.0s back to back mph was down 2-3 aslo. I'm working on the tune and fighting the additional engine temps, but at this point I'm considering putting my LS1 intake back on. I will update on Friday if there's no rain.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

hmmm that doesn't sound right. Could there be any other reasons for all these issues?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Here's my 2 cents...
It comes down to long term purpose + your budget + your taste

If you're going for as much power as possible looking for a high HP car, then save up the cash and go FAST 102 with matched TB. Personally I don't plan on making over 450 rwtq and use my car for autox...so I don't need a high HP setup. I'm like you where I hate the look of the stock mani...so you can do something like I did and buy a LS6...and then paint it to whatever color you want. I painted mine satin black for now cause the rest of my engine bay is ugly...but when I clean up everything I'll repaint it to make it look better. I'm still running stock TB, but will be porting mine soon enough. I was porting a TB for a buddy, but my dremel burned up trying to sand it smooth...so I don't suggest a dremel unless you take your time and don't let it heat up.

So my suggestion is a LS6 with a ported TB, save you the cash, and if you want to look pretty paint the intake or even powdercoat or polish the TB. Save your money and get something additional to help make power...like headers
Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
hmmm that doesn't sound right. Could there be any other reasons for all these issues?
Honestly I went over it in my head time after time and I pretty much came up with nothing. But I am leaning towards my MAF. I swapped it out and tweeked the tune a little, I'll see if that makes a difference on Friday. It was quite embarrassing though. Had several people asking me what was wrong with my car.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Goat2NV
Just thought I'd add to this thread, I have mixed emotions about the BBK so far. My car has been consistantly running 12.7-12.8s with a best of 12.46 with good air. I installed the BBK SSI intake last friday and went down on the same tune I've been running for months and the car felt like a dog! I tried adding fuel as I could tell the car was leaning, no gains at all. The intake was soo hot you could roast hotdogs on it! The air was similar to the day I went the 12.46, the best the car went was a 12.99. It went 4 13.0s back to back mph was down 2-3 aslo. I'm working on the tune and fighting the additional engine temps, but at this point I'm considering putting my LS1 intake back on. I will update on Friday if there's no rain.
You ever get this figured out?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed the BBK and love it. The car is not raced but I do want it to perform when the pedal is pushed Car feels like it runs better with the bigger intake plus it looks good at the shows. If weight is an issue just go on a diet and loose a few pounds
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check my sig for my numbers with the BBK intake and TB, probably would have been like 10 more if I went with a fast, but not really worth the $500 for it.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

I'm building an LQ9 based engine with 317's. Picked up a BBK SSI for 300.00 so why not.... yeah, it looks pretty and I'm still kicking around the idea of forced induction. So, if all else is equal at least it looks pretty and I can spray it!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you guys see that thread some dumbass did testing 4 intake on his car?? loser
Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Although weight is something to consider and it will make a difference its not a major factor compared to potential power gains over the LS1. Something else thats worth considering, that I think is the BBK's major fall back is even though it is Aluminum it isn't composite plastic which means its more prone to getting heat soaked. This will rob you some of the gains, lets say the BBK yields 10% more hp then the LS6 which I think would be pretty generous. A metal intake that gets heat soaked easier then the LS6 could easily start losing you that 10% extra power and more. If you don't think so then there is no reason not to get a BBK. But in my opinion and alot of other people that did their research on this issue we feel that the LS6 is tried tested and true and well worth the minimal investment. Both are very comparble to each other and one sheds heat much more efficiently then the other. Obvious decission in my eyes. Ofcourse, people that have the BBK are going to support their decission much like the people that have the LS6 are going to support theirs so really this whole line of questioning is completely redundant and arbitrary. But enjoy this thread thats going to become nothing more then a poll "what are most people running"
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by studderin
did you guys see that thread some dumbass did testing 4 intake on his car?? loser
yea I wonder who that moron was?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Studderin is known on a few Fbody boards as being the typhoon/bbk intake hater ...dopey I dont know who dyno'd what but I definitely noticed a significant gain after the 85mm intake and tb...

Quick Reply: LS6 Intake vs BBK