Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug wire shorted out

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wire shorted out

Well, I just had a wire (factory) crap out on me, it cracked and started arcing to the header which it was touching (slightly melted but the insulation was more cracked than melted). I got a bad misfire and flashing MIL. I pulled over after a few minutes and pretty quickly figured out what the problem was, luckily it was on cyl 3 which is about the easiest one to get at. Got my mother in law to pick me up and take me to a nearby autozone and bought a set of duralast wires which were $29 (cheaper than getting towed - they would not sell me a single wire and didn't have any singles that looked like they would fit) so that got me home but I don't want to leave that garbage on there (resistance is twice what even the GM wires are, 800 ohms!). I'll try to return the wires to Autozone since I only put about 20 miles on one of the eight but I realize that might be a challenge.

What do yall recommend that I order that is reasonably priced? I figured I can get a better deal online than buying some "premium" plugs at an auto parts store... I'll just roll around with the single Autozone and 7 GM wires for now (or actually I'll probably just drive my truck for a few days since the weather is supposed to get bad). Thanks

The car actually ran pretty decent on 7 cylinders, but definitely way down on power. Not as rough as I would have thought. I didn't want to try to make it home I figured the cat would eventually catch fire with all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust (it stank and was making a lot of smoke)
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

being a parts manager at auto zone i can tell you that it's very doubtful they'll return the plugs since they're technically used lol. IMO i'd hit up jegs and grab some 8.5mm super conductors hehehe I know that at my auto zone. if you buy a set of wires from somewhere else. if you bring me the reciept for the new one's. then they'll return the set you bought from them. good luck to ya!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thirdgengta350
very doubtful they'll return the plugs since they're technically used lol
ya thats what I figured, but I'll give it a shot. I won't be a jerk about it or anything, maybe they'll be cool; the wires got me home for less hassle and cost than a tow so they did the job. I couldn't believe how high the resistance was when I checked them, though!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

yeah that is pretty crazy. As a manager i'm kind of an ***. so if it seems shady i'll question the return. but in your situation i wouldn't mind returning them. it really does vary. it all depends on the peoples that work at the one you go to. good luck though!!