Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Density, no MAF, what coupler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and still nobody knows of a coupler that will fit on a K&N CAI filter?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol the hot air intake? ya need to loose that lol. For the dyno its great but as soon as you close the hood it sucks compared to a lid with free mod. track proven to many friends
Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Thats generous of you..

I know that when you go to a bigger cam, its wiser to tune it speed density because the overlap of the cam could throw readings off to the MAF, but sensors such as MAF and o2 sensors work very quickly.. Honestly, I cant recall why its better to use a speed density tune on stock-like or bolt on cars.. But I know due to cams having overlap its a better choice to run speed density vs MAF.. maybe MAf can be used to tune radical engines as well.. MAYBE, but right know I cant gather the information in my head to explain why or why not..

MAF and speed density are just 2 different types of engine management systems on cars.

Dont know about N/A setups but with boosted apps the MAF is blind over certain pressures and the o2 sensors are widely inaccurate at WOT. SD relies upon MAP, IAT and wideband for accurate readings. Not sure how much of a diff it is for N/A guys though.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Dont know about N/A setups but with boosted apps the MAF is blind over certain pressures and the o2 sensors are widely inaccurate at WOT. SD relies upon MAP, IAT and wideband for accurate readings. Not sure how much of a diff it is for N/A guys though.
I know what speed density is.. It relies on MAP, like you said, but even if the MAF stops working on our cars, the computer relies on Manifold absolute pressure, when the MAF isnt getting readings..

But I wasnt sure on FI, and it makes sense.. thanks for clarifying that.

are you SURE all cases of SD tunes use IAT though?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Through the search function, bringing this one back from the dead. So, which coupler am I going to need to delete my MAF on a stock sized SLP lid connecting to a stock TB? Is it the Fernco 3" ID x 6" long coupler or is it the 4" ID x 6" long one? I want the one that's going to fit the best. Home Depot is where I'll be getting it from.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Through the search function, bringing this one back from the dead. So, which coupler am I going to need to delete my MAF on a stock sized SLP lid connecting to a stock TB? Is it the Fernco 3" ID x 6" long coupler or is it the 4" ID x 6" long one? I want the one that's going to fit the best. Home Depot is where I'll be getting it from.
Anyone got a definitive answer on this?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Anyone got a definitive answer on this?
Do you live close to a home depot? You could always take the lid and MAF with you in the store and do some test fitting.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 97camaro383

Do you live close to a home depot? You could always take the lid and MAF with you in the store and do some test fitting.
Good ideah. Just need to measure the lenght, which seems to be 6 inches.

Quick Reply: Speed Density, no MAF, what coupler?