Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did some mods now misfires ! help please !

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did some mods now misfires ! help please !

alright lets start with the car running flawlessly (stock car)....installed longtubes with x pipe ported TB and ported MAF (EGR! AIR!) and slp lid and took it for a drive it ran like total dogshit, missfired like hell so i stopped and checked the sparkplug wires and sure as **** one was loose from the header install so i popped it back on and it ran really good for awhile i drove around then i went to get on it again and it cut out and ran like ****....then i got on it and it was fine again....i got home and checked the plugwires again and they were tight....do i need new plugs and wires at 29000 miles ? could it be the ported MAF ? help me out im missing something !

thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

personally i would suggest a tune.. that should solve ur problems
but then again it shouldn't be running that terrible with just those mods and no tune
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you see any of the wires touching or rubbing on the headers? Do you have plug heat sleeves on the wires? Did you check to make sure none of the spark plugs were cracked?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Do a MAF test.. See if a buddy will let you borrow a MAF from his car and switch them out. See if there is a diffrence. Also, check your plug wires closely. May have damaged one when doing the swap, ie crack or cut in the wires. When you did the swap, did you also do a plug swap?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Check your plug gap as well. Since it sounds like you didn't replace them while you had them out, not sure why, you could have bump one or something and messed up the gap. Or, you could have cracked one or more of the plugs. When I did my headers I left the gap to large in the plugs and it miss fired like a bitch on WOT.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they said above check the following:

• Cracked spark plug
  • loose wire
  • wire grounded out
  • MAF
  • Checked for cracked coolant sensor. I've heard of a guy that had that problem less than a month ago
Old 02-21-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

puting headers will lean car out without tune. Ported maf will make it much worse.... need tunage
Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
Like they said above check the following:

• Cracked spark plug
  • loose wire
  • wire grounded out
  • MAF
  • Checked for cracked coolant sensor. I've heard of a guy that had that problem less than a month ago
this is where id be looking, especially the cracked spark plugs since it sounds like you didnt replace them. id clean the maf as well and see what that does for you.

Originally Posted by youguessit
puting headers will lean car out without tune. Ported maf will make it much worse.... need tunage
i ran all those mods plus an ls6 intake no tune for almost a year, it will not be far enough out to cause the above problems

well minus the ported maf, seems like doing anything with the maf invites problems
Old 02-21-2010, 03:50 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

no i didnt change the plugs or wires...im gonna check them and probly buy new plugs....