Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can with or without PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can with or without PCV?

I installed the WS6 Store Catch Can on my 2001 WS6. The instructions say you can hook it up with or without the PCV valve inline so I left it out. Any downside to eliminating the PCV valve?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

No action on this thread but I thought I'd post my results to anyone interested. As I said , the instructions that came with my Catch Can from the WS6 store say you can use a PCV valve inline before the catch can or not use it- doesn't matter. I called them and they said "try it both ways and see what works best".

Well- I put the PCV valve inline and the catch can is now catching less than half of what it was before without the PCV valve. I'm more confused now. The objective is to keep oil out of the intake- so is the PCV valve simply acting as a check valve to limit how much oil makes it to the catch can in the first place or is more oil now getting into my intake with the PCV valve in place? And the fact that the instructions say it doesn't matter if you have a PCV valve inline or not seems ridiculous since there is a huge difference in how the system operates with and without it.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah you need to search this topic there is pages and pages of info. But basically the PCV is suppose to close at wide open throttle so there would be less air traveling through the catch can and therefore less oil.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cowboy97
Yeah you need to search this topic there is pages and pages of info. But basically the PCV is suppose to close at wide open throttle so there would be less air traveling through the catch can and therefore less oil.
Yeah, I'm quite aware of all of the write-ups on this forum and others. I read ALL of them. My point is that even the WS6 store who sells this particular catch can says it doesn't matter whether or not the PCV valve is inline. It obviously does matter.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

LOL, I understand now, yeah I've read them all too, and from what I've read no one has a real definitive answer, just lots of good ideas and a few bad ones. Just gotta see which one works best for each car, I'm trying to figure out the same thing right now.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

put the pcv after the catch can...
it will help reduce the amount of oil pulled through the system...
your catch can will catch all the oil that does come through....you just wont be emptying it out near as often
Old 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by soundengineer
put the pcv after the catch can...
it will help reduce the amount of oil pulled through the system...
your catch can will catch all the oil that does come through....you just wont be emptying it out near as often
I put the PCV before the catch can and the amount of oil it collects is far lower. Not following your logic on the PCV AFTER the catch can.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by danbrazda
I put the PCV before the catch can and the amount of oil it collects is far lower. Not following your logic on the PCV AFTER the catch can.

PCV is acts like air restrictor....
putting it anywhere inline will help reduce the oil passing through...
putting it after will keep it from getting full of oil and needing to be changed...still allowing proper crankcase venting...
if it gets clogged with oil you get crankcase venting issues...which would happen if its before your catch can...
basically putting it after the catch can allows it to do the same job it has always done...without having to constantly replace the oil clogged pcv valve
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Launching!

putting it after will keep it from getting full of oil and needing to be changed...still allowing proper crankcase venting...
if it gets clogged with oil you get crankcase venting issues...which would happen if its before your catch can...
basically putting it after the catch can allows it to do the same job it has always done...without having to constantly replace the oil clogged pcv valve
Got it. I'll give it a try and compare how much oil makes it to the catch can when the pcv is before and when it is after. Without the pcv in there at all it was sucking oil like crazy.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Thats exactly the way I did it. +1
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Do you guys use the stock PCV valve or the new Truck PCV (#12572717) in this setup after the catch can?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

I have the pcv check valve after the catch can, stock valve too.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
I have the pcv check valve after the catch can, stock valve too.
That's what I just did. Looking forward to the results after about 500 miles.
With the catch can and no PCV my system was sucking oil at a rate of a quart every 1500 miles- bad idea. With the PCV BEFORE the catch can that number went to about 4 ounces in 1500 miles. I'm guessing having the PCV after the catch can will be about.... no guesses, I'll post results after a bit of driving in this mode.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

subbed
Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

well i have the same can and i have my pcv after the can.
i did go to the dealer and got the newer version of a gm pcv valve and it dont have the rattley check valve.
it looks like a standard pcv but theres no check valve theres just a tiny hole at the fat end and thats it.
so i guess the new updated valve it not suposed to close at all just restrict the air flow.

my set up seems to work perfect and i get no oil in my intake.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

just installed mine also...

T'd into the lines going from Valve Cover to Valve Cover on the rear, then into the catch can then into the Intake from the catch can w. a PCV inline between my catch can and intake..

new question should one turn his oil cap into a breater?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

should i add a bereather? in my oil cap or something?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

from what i've read, no. it adds unmetered air into the engine.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

if u'r stock pcv system uses one, why would u take it out just because u added a catch can?
i left mine in factory location, then ran lines just like normal, except with catch can in the middle.
everything works great for me!

but pcv valve after the can works too, either way
Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

i Have a 00 ss h/c/i longtubes undrive pully 6speed and i have oil smoke come out when im down in it and let off none while im driving normal should i try a catch can or someone told me to check the pcv the car and motor only have 44k so i wouldnt think i would have blowby what yall think?

Quick Reply: Catch Can with or without PCV?