Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with driver side header install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some help with driver side header install

well, i got the passenger side up in there with no problem. But, the driver side wont go.. I have heard of taking off the linkage but it doesnt look like its hitting that.
So, i guess i have to do something with the motor mount. Lift the motor up about a 1/2 inch. Not a mechanic by far but which bolts do you take out of the mount.. The four that go into the block? Or the one large bolt going parallel with the motor in the mount? Hope its not a stupid question.. Never delt with a motor mount before.. Any help??
Old 12-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waterbug1999
When I installed my headers, I removed both the motor mount bolts (the large one on each side of the motor), removed the bolts at the transmission (if I remember right 2 bolts). Next use a floor jack with a short 2x4 between the jack & the motor & rise the motor slightly. next push & twist the headers up from the bottom. It takes a bit of work but they did go in.
Mike
Old 12-28-2003, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

I had to unbold my driver side motor mount, and I raised up the motor as far as it would go with a block of wood. I put a small dent in the body underneath to give even more room.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jorday
I had to unbold my driver side motor mount, and I raised up the motor as far as it would go with a block of wood. I put a small dent in the body underneath to give even more room.
As far as the dent.. You mean when you put the header up in there where the last hole on the header its the body right?? I tried denting it in slightly (cause thats all it needs) But there was no room to sling a hammer in there. I guess i will try to remove the driver side motor mount bolt and lift the motor side ways.. sounds like thats the best bet..
Old 12-28-2003, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

I don't really remember exactly where the dent got put. It was just in the spot that was causing the header not to go into its spot.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jorday
I don't really remember exactly where the dent got put. It was just in the spot that was causing the header not to go into its spot.
Got it.. dented it in a little.. Loosened up the motor mount bolt and lifted the motor to the side and went right in!! Thanks for the help...
Old 12-28-2003, 12:23 PM
Banned

What headers are you installing? You may want to shave a bit off the k-member (The outside of the casting is usually rough and you can grind a bit of that off for clearance).

- Matt
Old 12-28-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

You might also try taking out the tranny support and then supporting it with a floor jack. The motor can move about an inch from side to side like this. Use a 12 inch long 2x4 and pry against the tranny and the tranny tunnel to move the motor over while sliding up the headers. Also make sure you have the car high enough to get good manueverability of the header.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Launching!

If you have to unbolt your engine something is wrong in my point. I installed a set of FLPs and sliding it up was a piece of cake on the passenger side and I had to wiggle around the driver slide till it slid into place. Well glad you got it in anyways. take care
Old 12-28-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of headers did you install?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Launching!

exactly...thanks zigzag..it helps if we know what kind they are
Old 12-28-2003, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

When installing my SLP LTs, we just loosened the tranny support bolts and pried the whole engine assembly to one side and the header slid right into place. We also removed the steering linkage...although it didn't really appear to be a hinderence, when removed it made a world of difference...
Old 12-28-2003, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
When installing my SLP LTs, we just loosened the tranny support bolts and pried the whole engine assembly to one side and the header slid right into place. We also removed the steering linkage...although it didn't really appear to be a hinderence, when removed it made a world of difference...

Exactly what he said. I did the same thing for my SLP's and if they can go in using this method any other header on the market can.

FWIW my hookers slid right in but on the passenger side I had to almost get the header collector pointing right at the ground to get it slid up in there.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

The headers are from pacesetter + the ORY-pipe. The passenger side went in perfect. The driver side wouldnt go in till i loosened up the motor mount and jacked it up a tad.. Slid right in and tightened the bolt... Now i got to figure out how to do the rest.. Been doing it by myself, so just been taking my time and asking questions.. Thanks all..
Old 12-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
The headers are from pacesetter + the ORY-pipe. The passenger side went in perfect. The driver side wouldnt go in till i loosened up the motor mount and jacked it up a tad.. Slid right in and tightened the bolt... Now i got to figure out how to do the rest.. Been doing it by myself, so just been taking my time and asking questions.. Thanks all..

was it the little square shaped ear on the back of the block that hung you up on the drivers side? because when i put my pace setters in i just shaved that little ear off and it slid right in..instead of jackin the motor up...but also..your header is most likely going to hit the K member so youll need to dremel that off a bit also...it may not appear to hit right off the bat ..but under torque it will rub after a few hard miles. I have done 3 cars with these headers and they all had the exact same probs...so i imagine yours would be the same....if you have anymore questions..just ask

justin L

99SS M6
Old 12-28-2003, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by five0killr
was it the little square shaped ear on the back of the block that hung you up on the drivers side? because when i put my pace setters in i just shaved that little ear off and it slid right in..instead of jackin the motor up...but also..your header is most likely going to hit the K member so youll need to dremel that off a bit also...it may not appear to hit right off the bat ..but under torque it will rub after a few hard miles. I have done 3 cars with these headers and they all had the exact same probs...so i imagine yours would be the same....if you have anymore questions..just ask

justin L

99SS M6
From what i saw when i put it in was like it was hitting the body underneath. Tried and tried to squeeze it in but no go. I "might" have not even had to loose the motor mount because it does move a little for motor movement.. Wasnt bad ounce i loosened the bolt and jacked th emotor up.. went right in.
Cant tell if its going to hit the k-member or not because i havent bolted them up yet... They are just sittin in there..Maybe tomorrow..
Old 12-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Banned

That's why we use Kooks exclusively... Passenger side header falls into place.. driver's side header you turn till it's vertical slide it in and then turn back horizontal. Easy installation.

- Matt
Old 12-28-2003, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
That's why we use Kooks exclusively... Passenger side header falls into place.. driver's side header you turn till it's vertical slide it in and then turn back horizontal. Easy installation.

- Matt
Installing the paceseeters wasnt that hard.. Now that ive done it it wasnt so bad. I probaply didnt even have to unbolt the driver side motor mount. Just jack up that side alittle and im sure it would have slid in..