Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Cutout Dissection

Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric Cutout Dissection

My electric cutout seized, and was stuck open for a week . Needless to say I was annoyed so I took everything apart.

The rubber boot that was supposed to weather proof the motor did a pretty good job of collecting water. The inside of the wimpy motor supplied with the cutout grenaded . After opening it up, I was surprised it had no signs of failure before seizing up.

Anyway, I decided to upgrade to a bigger motor and show some pics of the inside of the gear box...

The Gear Box...

The inside...

Disassembled...

Mini gear carnage...

I pulled the input gear off the old motor and pressed it onto the new one, but the shaft was longer so it needed to be shimmed...

Old vs new motor...

New motor mounted...

Shows new motor with gear engagement...

Going back together, blue makes everything better...

I didnt feel like getting raped by the price of a controller, so I went with the radioshack special; DPDT switch (on the right)

Since wiring cutouts can be confusing, I made a sweet diagram that may help some people out....

The new motor opens/closes the cutout valve in about 2 seconds as opposed to the stock motor which took about 6 seconds.

I also picked up a sound measuring device from the engineering building : I run pacesetter LT's, ORY, and a hooker aerochamber. Measuring device held at passenger door, about 3 ft. from cutout.

Surrounding Noise: 55 dB
Idle cutout closed: 64 dB
Idle Cutout open: 96 dB

Hope somebody finds this stuff interesting.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember taking apart my qtp cutouts... They were coming loose and i had to completely dissassemble to get them fixed. And good call on the radio shack DPDT switch. It's relatively inexpensive, and they work great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Cutout Dissection