Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct way to install terminals on MSD custom wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Correct way to install terminals on MSD custom wires?

I have found through resistance checks that I have some spark plug wire ends that are damaged.

When I built these wires years ago, I folded the conductor back over the insulator and crimped the terminal on. There was no prevision for not having to fold the conductor on the terminal so that the conductor could be crimped (without folding) and then the insulator could be crimped.

Whats happening is the spiral design of the MSD 8.5mm super conductor wiring is breaking at the bend and then only partial power is making it to the plug. There is burn evidence on the wire (in the white area in pic) and arcing evidence in the terminal.

Is there a way to install the terminals so that I dont have to fold the conductor back? With these terminals, the only way I can see is to solder them. I am going to try to locate some "dual" crimp terminals locally which obviously would be the best solution.

How are you guys putting the terminals on your custom length wires?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dont you get the wires already cut to size....so all you need to do is remove them from the box and plug them up.