Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about filter before the MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about screen before the MAF

I am new to F body cars. I bought a '98 Z28 with 48,000 miles on it last week. I was recharging the K&N filter it came with when I noticed the screen that is down the tube just prior to the MAF was covered with large debri. Turns out there is a crack in the airbox lid (stock) where it kind of flexes on the bottom side. The crack is very large and is allowing unfiltered air to enter and hit the screen, along with debri. I can get a new stock lid from a local junk yard for $20 (until I can buy an aftermarket high flow lid) but it does not have the SCREEN thing in it.

So my question is, should the lid have the SCREEN in it or is the SCREEN located in the tube that the lid slides on? I do not have my car close by to look at, and the junk yard says they don't know which piece the screen should be in. Also, does that screen have a specific name?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by 98Z-6Speed; 12-31-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:00 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no screen prior to the MAF screen. which is one reason its good to keep the MAF screen because sometimes **** manages to get by the filter even on a good lid . i dont know if it was a special or not but the motorsports direct flow lid was going for 75 bucks, you cant beat that price.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
there is no screen prior to the MAF screen. which is one reason its good to keep the MAF screen because sometimes **** manages to get by the filter even on a good lid . i dont know if it was a special or not but the motorsports direct flow lid was going for 75 bucks, you cant beat that price.
Ok, so the screen is directly on the MAF? If so that is great. I have ordered the motorsports lid, it is still 75, but it won't ship till Monday, so I want to use the $20 junk yard lid until the new one comes in next week. The one on my car is unusable for me with that huge crack in it.

Let me know if that is what you meant, that the screen is on the actual MAF, I would be thrilled to hear that.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:28 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

yes the screen is on the actual MAF. it goes lid (no screen), screened maf, bellows (no screen), then TB, and last intake.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
yes the screen is on the actual MAF. it goes lid (no screen), screened maf, bellows (no screen), then TB, and last intake.
Thanks man. I picked up the lid from the yard and I will put it on tonight. I really appreciate your precise explanation. BTW, nice car, mine is also black
Old 12-31-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
Hey, which cloth do you have inside? Mine has the grey cloth with red accents. Only 1200 of those were made, and that includes all models, not just Z28's. Mine also has T tops. So we may have twinkie cars (with the exception of your mods). Did you notice a difference with the high flow lid and smooth bellows? I mean a difference you could feel?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:17 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
Hey, which cloth do you have inside? Mine has the grey cloth with red accents. Only 1200 of those were made, and that includes all models, not just Z28's. Mine also has T tops. So we may have twinkie cars (with the exception of your mods). Did you notice a difference with the high flow lid and smooth bellows? I mean a difference you could feel?
my car came with grey cloth, has since been replaced with ebony leather seats out of an 01 SS. you have any pics of your interior, i've only seen one other guy with a dual color setup.

i installed my lid/filter and bellows at the same time as my LT's, catted Y, and magnaflow so ya, you can say i felt a difference .

a lid is good for 10rwhp or so, bellows are only for an appearance mod and goes into the "every little bit helps" hp corner. do a search for "fernco" and you should find plenty of threads to direct you into getting your own bellows, dont pay more then 10-12 bucks for them.

also cruise the newbie section, you'll find a lot of guys like yourself there and a host of great info to get you started and to learn about your car
Old 12-31-2003, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ebony leather, nice.

I do have pics, I cannot post them here from work, but when I get home I will post some for you. At first I did not like the interior, but it is growing on me quickly.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=jrp]my car came with grey cloth, has since been replaced with ebony leather seats out of an 01 SS. you have any pics of your interior, i've only seen one other guy with a dual color setup.

These pics aren't the best for the interior, but you can see the colors and set up lookin into the T tops.