Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks worth the extra coin over Mac?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Kooks worth the extra coin over Mac?

So ive been header shopping lately since my drivers side cat keeps making the car throw and insufficient flow code. And ive been looking at the mac and kooks and arh headers. Price wise im looking at around $600 + ship for the mac, $1160 + ship for the kooks and $1240 + ship for the ARH. I havent done much research on the ARH's but as far as I can tell aside from the 2.5" vs 3" y-pipe I cant find any specification difference of the macs vs the kooks. Both are the same size, both are the same gauge steel, both are uncoated, both are the same material. Can someone explain to me why I might want to spend the extra cash for the kooks over the macs?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
So ive been header shopping lately since my drivers side cat keeps making the car throw and insufficient flow code. And ive been looking at the mac and kooks and arh headers. Price wise im looking at around $600 + ship for the mac, $1160 + ship for the kooks and $1240 + ship for the ARH. I havent done much research on the ARH's but as far as I can tell aside from the 2.5" vs 3" y-pipe I cant find any specification difference of the macs vs the kooks. Both are the same size, both are the same gauge steel, both are uncoated, both are the same material. Can someone explain to me why I might want to spend the extra cash for the kooks over the macs?
I've had both and all I can say is night and day difference with them. Macs did a decent job but the quality wasn't that good. Kooks are top of the line when it comes to quality. Fitment was better and no bumping underneath the car. My Macs ended up rusting in places too. Both sets were with cats. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Im planning on the catless version, oklahoma doesnt have emissions testing so as long as the cars no overly loud I can most likely get away with no cats. I ran 3" straigh piping back from the turbo on my protege with a spintech race muffler and as long as i drove like a normal person I didnt get any grief.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

I'm switching from Kooks to ARHs. VENGEANCE offered them cheaper than what you listed. In a 1 7/8 size. The 1 3/4 may be cheaper
Old 03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

someone correct me if I'm wrong but the mac headers are mid-lengths where as the kooks are lt's. In that case the kooks will make better power. When you get to longtubes they all make abt the same power what you pay for is finish or fitment. The best fitment is pacesetter, bbk, tsp,kooks arh, qtp etc. The first three are the cheaper ones being that they are ceramic coated and not stainless however all of the above brands fit very nicely.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have experience with Kooks but I do know that ARHs are a work of art. Superb quality, workmanship, and customer service. They slid right in only having to take off the heat shields on the passenger side. No banging either, just a fantastic product that fits our cars like a glove. I can't say enough good things about them. To me they're worth every cent.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

AHR's Here too.