Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak....advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak....advice?

I have a 416 LS3, but run the stock LS1 batwing oil pan. I can drive this car all over, and it never leaks, but as soon as I lay into it, I get oil all over the oil pan and it drips off the back of the pan in 4 spots. The area under the pulley is dry, so its not the front seal. it seems to be all over the bottom of the "wing" part of the pan, so I doubt its the rear main. There is no oil on top, so i dont think its the OPS unit. Has anyone had problems with the gaskets on the wing part of the pan letting go? I have a vented catch can, so I dont know if its just the crank case pressure shoving the oil out. Im lost and its annoying as hell.....Ideas?

Its a 2002 Corvette MN6
Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the o ring on the dipstick that had rotted out and was letting oil come out at WOT. It also baffled me at first being that i had replaced all the gaskets on this motor!!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkbird
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the o ring on the dipstick that had rotted out and was letting oil come out at WOT. It also baffled me at first being that i had replaced all the gaskets on this motor!!!!!
hmmmmm......I will check that! thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

also check PCV system.