Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up?

My car is a 02 camaro ss, has just under 30k miles on it. I wanted to know would it be a waste of money if i got a tune up on the car right now? With the tune up i just wanted to put some really good plugs and wires, and i was also wondering which plugs and wires are best? my car is pretty stock..thanks guys
Old 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tr55's if u do plugs. wires are a waste on a stock car. maybe look up free mods if u r itching to toy with ****.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
tr55's if u do plugs. wires are a waste on a stock car. maybe look up free mods if u r itching to toy with ****.
x2 on the tr-55s!

but mine as well get some wires while your at it, most people destory the old wires taking them out.

its never a waste of money to get your car in good running condition. i would do a tranny fluid change/rear end fluid change as well.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^yeah i guess thats true, and MSD wires are a good bit thicker/stronger than stock wires.

and yeah there are a lot of things you can do...but at 30k maybe not quite yet.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Keep factory wires, or AC Delco replacements. Aftermarket wires MAY pick up 1hp and in return you get electrical noise and potential driveability issues. If you are stock internals, keep factory plugs and wires and you will get more reliability and longer change interval. If you cam/spray/FI, then consider different plugs.

I agree with changing tranny and diff fluids, go synthetic. More important, change your fuel filter every 15k or every year. Change/clean air filter every 6 months or so. Do a professional injector cleaning/decarb, you will notice an improvement. Then simply use a bottle of good injector cleaner every 3 months to maintain. Change brake fluid and coolant every two years.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mileage might not be as much a concern as the age. . . feel free to replace ALOT of things such as fluids, filters, plugs & wires. Your car is 8 years old. In use or not, the insulation on your wires will break down just as much from age as hard use. Granted UV isn't a concern on the breakdown, but simply age.