Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y-pipe banging.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default y-pipe banging.

Well I took it back and they adjusted it, took off some u-bolts and welded it up for more clearance, and put better clamps on the header collector to y-pipe.

it really only does it from a stop.. usually a bit past 1/4 throttle, if i start off easy it wont do ****...sometimes if i give it half throttle at 20 it'll do it as well.
Looking under the car it looks like theres enough room, even tho areas I can't even get a finger threw, but if you put like a lot of pressure upwards on all the pipes it doesn't hit anything, there is no more adjustment available, it's as good as its going to get apparently.

Any suggestions? Kinda wish I did poly mounts, im having **** luck lately...

Maybe some people just live with it? If I crank the radio i cant hear it... Haha

Is poly motor mounts my only solution?

Last edited by mischief; 04-06-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Poly motor mounts solved that problem in my car, it is annoying and all that work gets old
Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Launching!

yeah, I'm just going to put some heater hose with a hose clamp around it on the area that is bad, till I have some Poly mounts installed.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mischief
yeah, I'm just going to put some heater hose with a hose clamp around it on the area that is bad, till I have some Poly mounts installed.
Lol same problems eh buddy?

I just threw a u clamp with heater hose on mine. Wedged it right under the trans crossmember, which is where mine was banging. It vibrates under your feet slightly at WOT but it worked. I just don't want the hassle of poly mounts, but eventually I'll get them on there.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Someone sells a little rubber deal that stops the banging.. But I've also got a buddy that welded an old valve spring on his y pipe where it bangs and doesn't have the problem anymore.. Goodluck!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

change the motor mounts
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did my motor mounts at the same time i did my exhaust, and i have never had a problem at all............Poly mounts is the only true answer.
You can buy the rubber bump stop hangers for the Y pipe but thats more of a band-aid solution to the banging problem....
Good luck bro!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wrapped header wrap around the y pipe then used a clamp to keep it on.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 Y-Pipe Bump Stop Hanger from ws6store.com

Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

It's on the drivers side.. I put some heater hose and a hose clamp to hold it in place, just some 5/8 hose, just kinda squeezed it close and put it in, then put the clamp threw it, it was tight but not too bad, im sure it will still flex slighty since its rubber.

It's worked pretty damn good, it feels like I did poly mounts tho with the vibration, is the outside of heater hose the same tolerance as inside? because i didn't cut it to use the inside or anything, im thinking it shouldn't matter.

I might order the bump stop if this ends up melting or something down the road, or do the dreaded poly motor mounts, reading on here tho, people have had the hose in for years without it melting, since it's made to handle heat.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it does not make your PCM go into KR then live with it unless you are **** retentive like me......LOL
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Well I'm sure it was going to KR before I added the rubber insert.. Seems like it has better response now too.

Might be why I only gained 8hp with full exhaust on the dyno?

Last edited by mischief; 04-07-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have the banging. theres a few options for you.

1. That Y hangar. In most cases it will work. WOrked for me even though I got the wrong size and used header wrap to make up the pipe diameter. Problem is it forces the pipe into position where it is and even forces the pipe down if you want it to when you tighten it; If you hit a speed bump or scrape the pipe it will bend it all upwards and you have to adjust it again. Or if you bottom out at or near that spot it may scrape the hangar and bend it.

2. Heat the top of the pipe with a torch for 10 minutes then use a bar to flatten the top of the pipe a bit for clearance. This is what ultimately worked for me. I didn't care for the ORY i bent up since my new headers are on their way with a new y pipe I just wanted to see if I could stop the banging.

3. Poly mounts. will be doing them with headers I think this is the ultimate solution and allows you to tuck your whole system up further for best ground clearance.

4. I almost cant believe it helped in this regard but I just installed a smooth SLP bellow and it definitely helped the rattling. Hopefully it doesnt bust the lid before I get the headers installed because my stock mounts are pretty flexible .
Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mischief

the heater hose sounds familiour lol

Quick Reply: y-pipe banging.