Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator relocation help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator relocation help

I am building a sports car of my own design and using the complete drivetrain from a 2003 Z06. I only need to run an alternator. I need it to be mounted low, preferably on the passenger side. Any suggetions? Thanks, John
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaros/Trans Ams run it low on the drivers side...
might consider that possibility?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a LQ4 in a Jeep Wrangler, has the truck accessory brackets. I'm actually redesigning my accessory brackets as we speak. I have to move the alternator from the current location (drivers side) to where the tensioner used to be on the passenger side. I'm utilizing the old alternator location for a second A/C compressor (York A/C unit to run on-board air). Also have to relocate the tensioner.

Anyways, I chose to use the passenger side head instead of the water pump to mount the alternator to. If you like, I can send you pics when I'm done and could even design/fabricate you some custom brackets. If your not on a budget, you can get them CNC machined out of billet aluminum.

Your other option is to contact March Performance and pay out the nose. However they do not use sprung tensioners and use left/right threaded heims. It's not my favorite way to go as it doesn't accommodate a variety of factors and most people end up over tightening the belt, causing premature wear on bearings.