Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Underdrive Crank Pulley

Has anyone done this on the Ls1's? If so, were there any setbacks?
I was just wondering if it potetially could burn up anything that was pulley driven(alt, psp, or water pump).. (by everything in theory spinning faster)
Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually it makes everything spin slower, that is how you get power out of them. I have one in my car, and the only thing I hate about it is that my alternator output sucks when the car is not moving.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The underdrive pulley is a very cost effective way to produce more power without a need for tuning or any other modification. (normally). The accessories do spin at a slower rate then normal, so if you have an aftermarket system that has a high electrical demand, then it may be a good idea to have that addressed as well.

We sell so many of them, we even have them in kit form with the correct length belts and a new crank bolt, either GM or ARP style. They run in the $200 range for the kit depending on what crank bolt you decide on.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Oh sweet.. okay..
I was thinking too far into it I guess.
Well thank you.. And It WILL NOT hurt anything?
This helps me out alot..
Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Launching!

If the alternator output is a problem get the alt overdrive pulley. Some kits may even include that pulley in the kit. I just installed an UD crank pulley and put the alt overdrive on it and its way better alt output at idle.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Doing pulleys after a tune here...supposedly good for a tenth at the track...definately worth it imo.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the alternator output will be an issue unless you are running something that draws alot of power, such as big stereo amps. My car frequently sits for 3 weeks or longer without being started (especially in the winter). Sometimes it turns over slow but it always starts and the battery charges just fine, even while idling. I can start with a near dead battery and if I let it warm up and drive it just a few miles at low rpm it will start again in a few weeks no problem. So it's charging more than it's using for sure.