Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is wondering which is correct about headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is wondering which is correct about headers?

I hear so many different stories about headers like LT's operates at idle to 4500rpm an shortie's headers operates at 4000 to 6500 how correct is this?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always heard that Longtubes are the only way to go, To go thru the hassel of the install and price, the longtubes take advantage of the power available more than shorties or mid lengths. Never heard an RPM range put on Header sizes.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shorties are worthless. Mids are meh. Longtubes are the only way to go. I also have never heard of RPM operating ranges for headers. Long tubes are going to give you more power everywhere.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html

B. Headers

What they are: there are 3 styles of headers for the ls1:

1) Shorties: Easy to install, small power gain
2) Mid-length: Not too small, but not so long as to scrape if your car is lowered
3) Long-tube: Biggest and best. Will maximize power as well as exhaust noise

- If you have an 00-02 car do not bother with shorties. They received a better-designed manifold and flow quite well actually for what they are. You will see minimal gain if any by switching to shorties. If you have a 98-99 car you'll gain some rwhp from shorties but it wont be much either.

- If you decide on shorties work your other mods around that aspect meaning if you decide for a future cam keep it small (220 duration or smaller).

- Mac Mid-lengths vs LT's. The whole Mid vs LT debate will continue to go on, I’ve learned macs can produce great numbers and are a viable option for alot of people.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank y'all so much for clearing that up for me.