Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP harmonic balancer Slotted?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP harmonic balancer Slotted?

I'm at the end of my cam install and I'm getting ready to put my SLP pulley on and noticed it has a "key hole" or slot on the part that slides onto the crank snout. I was wondering why this is there if there is nothing on the crank snout for this to slide into or line up with?

thanks in advance
Tyler
Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

^ IIRC, that's for if you Key your crank for a blower application. Where did you get your SLP UDP from? I ordered mine form TR and they seemed to have sent me a truck pulley (last year.) I tried putting it on and hell no it didn't fit. (I was drunk)

I think it just presses on. No need to clock it. oh, tip: bake it in the oven @ 200* for a little bit to make it easier to throw on.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered it from maryland speed.
I'm going to bake it and slide it on tomorrow.

I just tighten it to 37ft lbs with the old crank bolt then turn it 160 more degrees with the new bolt?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I know the initial TQ is high. but wasn't sure how much. Found this for ya.

Originally Posted by ls1howto
Crank Pulley: Ah yes, everybodies favorite part. Put the car in 5th gear, put the pulley on the crank snout, and use the OLD bolt to start pulling the pulley onto the crank. Keep tightening...it should slide on about an inch or so. Once it starts getting tight, tighten to 240ft/lbs, or as close as you can to that. I always stop at around 180-190 ftlbs and its been fine so far. Now remove the old bolt, install a new one, tighten to 37ft/lbs, then turn an additional 140 degrees. Once again, I have yet to actually be able to turn it all 140 degrees..but 90-100 has seemed to work fine so far. You'll need a long section of pipe over a very strong wrench to be able to turn it all 140 degrees.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

its starting to look like my belt is not going to line up correctly

I hope its actually tightening and not stripping.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

^ There's someone on here that sells home made balancer install tools. I picked one up and it works really good! I really don't like walking the balancer on with the bolt. I pulled a hair bit of thread out with mine once. Still threads in all the way and tightened fine.

Compare the snub "depth" of the new balancer with your stocker. Lay them flat on the belt side beside each other. They should sit at the same depth. That's what threw me and I found that they sent me the wrong one. Or else SLP has their part numbers screwed up if you got the wrong one too. The way mine was going to sit would have been over a half an inch OUT too far; away from the engine. it was WAAAYYY too tight putting it on and it was a fukin NIGHTMARE getting it off.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

I have to check that tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help tonight man
Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Not a problem.. Just post up the results.

Quick Reply: SLP harmonic balancer Slotted?