Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust backfire/stumble

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust backfire/stumble

So about a month ago I put in some LT's and swapped the intake for a LS6....While I was waiting for my ORY to arrive I drove open headers for a few days. The car ran fine after the installs for the first few days...then it started backfiring under acceleration really bad and stumbling as well....i've spent countless hours seraching threads to help me find this problem. I have triple checked for vaccum leaks, changed the spark plugs and wires....even bought a coil and swapped it on each cylinder. Nothing has worked. When the problem first started I went out and bought 2 new OEM bosch O2's sensors for the front. I figured running open headers messed up my O2's. Turns out one of the new sensors didn't even work and the other seemed to be very lazy. (had my car hooked up to HP tuners.) So I put a stock one back in wheere the new one wasn't working. After I had replaced my plug wires the plroblem seemed to get a little better...it only backfires occasionally and stumbles under hard acceleration between 1-2K rpm's. I was recently under my car and saw that the extension harness was melting to my headers on the driver's side so I went out and bought the 13111 corvette O2 for that side. the other side is running the stock O2 still....my question is....could this problem be that the stock O2 is bad and causing this problem? When it's hooked up to HPT it looks like its working fine...seems to be switching like it should but as i said before the car ran fine for the first couple of days after the installs.

Quick Reply: Exhaust backfire/stumble