Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Pro XS mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tspence45
I'll try and get some pics soon. I'm sure you could put them at the back bumper, but I wouldn't. I made the mistake of moving the single chambers on my Camaro from under the back seats to the rear bumper, and it changed the sound of the system big time, with nothing but muffler movement. I hate the way it sounds now, and am really thinking about having them moved back.
In what way did it change the sound? Make it louder, quieter, or just tone? So where are they mounted now? Thought you had them before the axle. I assume you didn't have to do the BFH mod to the floorboard to get them to fit? I guess ground clearance is good as well? Sorry so many questions I just want to be done with my exhaust, tired of changing. lol.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LeftySS
In what way did it change the sound? Make it louder, quieter, or just tone? So where are they mounted now? Thought you had them before the axle. I assume you didn't have to do the BFH mod to the floorboard to get them to fit? I guess ground clearance is good as well? Sorry so many questions I just want to be done with my exhaust, tired of changing. lol.
The Borlas on the T/A are under the back seats. Clearance isn't the greatest, but there's still room for them to be tucked up more. And no, I didn't BFH the floorboard.

On my Camaro, I used to have my single chambers before the axle, but had them moved because of clearance problems. Now, they're right in front of the rear bumper. I'll try and get a vid of it sometime, to compare it to how it sounded with them under the rear seats. It used to be deeper, smoother, and less raspy with them under the rear seats.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey I have those too! You will love them my fellow Borla muffler friend. I have to get mine tucked in a bit more because I am about to drop the car. Oh and the chop shop put them under my front seats, it seems OK.

When I got pulled over, I left the car idle and the cop never said a word about the noise. They are very quiet. Though you have a cam is loppey compared to my stock cam.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Glad you didn't have to use the BFH. To me there are no mufflers worth doing that for. Pics of the T/A with the Borlas would be great, when you get the time. I am not sure if I will have to get the off set ones or the center ones.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

I got the offset in/center out ones. But, that's because they don't make center/center in 3". Worked out better for me anyways. Because my X pipe brought the pipes in closer together than my H-pipe. So, they were able to use all the piping from the crossover to the rear bumper without changing a thing. That's probably why the mufflers aren't tucked up as well as they could be.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah my x-pipe brings the pipes in pretty close too. That is why I was thinking of doing the off set muffler so they don't get into the drive shaft or TA. I love the way these sound and after driving the car late last night, yeah it is time to tone her down. Not even much fun to drive cause you have to putt around everywhere. Funny, the louder and faster the car gets the slower I drive it. Ha Ha! Would still like to see pics of how they are mounted for comparison with mine so I know what to get.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Taking the plung, ordered my Borla ProXS's last night. I went with the offset 3" in/3" center out. I just hope they cure the drone issue and quite the car down. Plan on mounting them at the back seat and stepping down to 2.5 pipe under the axle and out the back for a little more clearance. Got them for $84 a piece. Don't think where I bought them is a sponsor on here so if you want the name you can PM me.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good at idle. If you dont mind, who fabbed up your exhaust setup?

I used the BFH mod to my floorpan, when I ran a 3" TD setup, and you barely see the mufflers under the car.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Sounds good at idle. If you dont mind, who fabbed up your exhaust setup?

I used the BFH mod to my floorpan, when I ran a 3" TD setup, and you barely see the mufflers under the car.
Aledo Muffler, in Aledo, IL. I didn't really want to beat the floorboard to fit the mufflers, and, like I said, they could be tucked up more. They were just trying to save me money by reusing the old tailpipes from when I had the single chambers. I might have them tuck it up some more later. But, I've got a good feel on what I can and can't do with them right now, and haven't scraped them in a while.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Taking the plung, ordered my Borla ProXS's last night. I went with the offset 3" in/3" center out. I just hope they cure the drone issue and quite the car down. Plan on mounting them at the back seat and stepping down to 2.5 pipe under the axle and out the back for a little more clearance. Got them for $84 a piece. Don't think where I bought them is a sponsor on here so if you want the name you can PM me.
Not a bad price. I think I paid like $215 shipped for the pair, for mine.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah mine was $193 shipped. I just hope mine sounds as good as yours. You wouldn't happen to have any pics would ya?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Not yet. I need to take it out to work, instead of the work truck one of these days. That way I can pull it over the pit and take some pics.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Well got my Borla's temporarily installed for the sound test and I must say it is way better. Nice deep, smoother sound. Just have them slipped on and clamped, no turn downs and a lot less interior noise. Can finally get on it without it being obnoxiously loud. You can still hear it but so much smoother and refined. Still have to get them permanently installed and ran out the back so things should be even better after. Will post pics when it is all done.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
Not yet. I need to take it out to work, instead of the work truck one of these days. That way I can pull it over the pit and take some pics.
Well got my Borla's temporarily installed for the sound test and I must say it is way better. Nice deep, smoother sound. Just have them slipped on and clamped, no turn downs and a lot less interior noise. Can finally get on it without it being obnoxiously loud. You can still hear it but so much smoother and refined. Still have to get them permanently installed and ran out the back so things should be even better after. Will post pics when it is all done.
Still looking forward to seeing some pics from under the car .Wonder who's going to be 1st post up pictures.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Sounds awesome!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

No dual pics yet!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still no pics.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry for the delay. A lot of things have come up lately, and I haven't had time to get pics posted or anything. Haven't really been on here much lately, actually. Here's a few pics of the setup. The underside of the car isn't the prettiest though. As you can see, the mufflers could be tucked up a little better, and it will get done eventually, if I keep it. I'm more worried about getting the few issues with it figured out first, though, and getting it tuned.

Name:  06081622.jpg
Views: 8734
Size:  103.0 KB
Name:  06081622a.jpg
Views: 7823
Size:  92.4 KB
Name:  06081623b.jpg
Views: 7973
Size:  75.5 KB
Name:  06081621.jpg
Views: 8124
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  06081623a.jpg
Views: 7982
Size:  86.2 KB
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default The winner is

Well tspence45 posts up pics of his TDs first.Good job ,good pics looks like your running a stock torque arm and a UMI lower panhard bar.Is the upper PHB stock or UMI.How much more do you think you can tuck the mufflers up? How much clearance do you have at the lowest point? Thanks again the pics really help.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

My upper PHB is still stock. I think when I measured, the lowest spot is right around 2 5/8" or 2 3/4". I think they could still be tucked up about another inch or so. But, as long as I'm careful, I can usually keep them from scraping.

Quick Reply: Borla Pro XS mufflers?